havent been on here in over a year!!! New questions to be answered!!! please?

squeaky10199

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, i used to be on here ALL the time, had 4-5 of my own tarantulas, rosehairs, pinktoes, A. seemani, and a lasiodora parahybana which was my fav! But i had to get rid of them all due to moving.... Now im back at home, out of school and have a full time job so i need another pet! LOL So i plan on getting a tarantula sometime soon but im not sure which one id like to start with. I want a green bottle blue, but i dnt want anything that is aggressive, or aboreal... and i want something that grows fast and is a great feeder and webber. Any suggestions on this?
Another thing is im going to make a cage for it out of ply wood, plan on polyurethaning it, sealing it with aquarium sealer...but i want to make sure this is all safe for the spider... any ideas on this or opinions would be great!!! pics too please! Thanks

Squeaky

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Although many consider them "starter Ts", I find tarantulas in the Brachypelma genus to be voracious eaters. Most are slow growing, but my B. vagans has grown from .75" to about 3" from the middle of June to now. It is also a confirmed female so I could only assume a male would have grown even faster. To top it off, it eats about as much as my Lasiodora parahybana when it was the same size. Definitely a great tarantula.

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
If your using plywood as a building material I have to strongly recommend that you use particle board treated with an anti rot coating, then strenously make sure when you cover it in the poly, make sure it does not come near the t. Best advice would be to use plexi or acrylic to avoid both a rot issue, and a chemical issue. Aquarium grade plexi is slightly pricey, but in my opinion totally worth it.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GBB would be the perfect choice for your criteria

squeaky10199

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is a GBB aggressive? i know they spin amazing webs, which i love! But i jus dont want something that when i open the cage its gunna run up the glass and bite me... or run away for that fact! I will probably jus use a ten gallon tank then, since a homemade one seems like too much work and for someone who doesnt have alot of $$$, kinda think it would jus be the cheapest route:D
I will probably get another lasiodora since i didnt get to keep my last one very long... even tho it did get quite big for only having it for 8 months from a sling....but i beleive it was a male:barf: