Have they ever smacked you?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you been smacked by a t? A few times when rooting around with tweezers and/or paintbrushes, they will either come to it and hit it or hit it when it gets close. There appears to be not motion to eat it. It is quite a lot of force too (for little buggers). I always laugh when it happens. No investigatory touching, no pulling in to eat, just a smack.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no but i had a rosea once that loved to head bunt everything. it is surprizing how much force they have for their size.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've got a particularly cantankerous G. aureostriata that LOVES to tag the tweezers whenever he gets the chance. I've taken to doing maintenance on his tank first, eventhough he's on the bottom shelf. I've noticed that if I wait until it's his turn and work on the higher tanks first, he 'wakes up' and comes out to see what all the activity is about. At that point, I usually have to put a large wooden spoon between him and his water dish so I can change it. If I service his house first, he's still snoozing in his corner until after I get the work done. :rolleyes:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my p. ornata does it. she's the devil incarnate, always attacking everything that enters her tank. yesterday, she spent half an hour in a threat display because i shone a light on her to get a look at her carapace. :rolleyes:
however, i've noticed that she hesitates to bite - she will first go and slap the tweezers repeatedly. not that i'll ever rely on her slapping instead of biting and put my hand in there...

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, my E. campestratus slaps my hand if I try to pick her up and she isn't in the mood for it. My biggest rosehair does it too.

_Nagash_

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My P.murinus usually slaps my forceps when I disturb her. One time, my female L.parahybana went crazy and decided to take her meal with brute force, when I was "hand feeding" her. I was shocked about how strong she actually was. Felt like someone tried to snatch it out of my hands. :p

Regards
Robin

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nearly all of my poecs have done it, and i think my mums haplopelma may have done. I presumed it was a warning before a bite, as the old worlds dont have hairs to flick. Is that right?

LMS

abarth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My rosie did this to my hand when I gently pushed her in the but during maintenance. Didn't think she'd be that fast, but at least she didn't bite.
And my C.andersoni sometimes come out to slap my tweezer if I'm in there to long.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I used to have a Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam" that was quite the smacker.

Icey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My P. cambridgei is a notorious smacker, getting the water bowl is always an adventure when she's on that side of the tank

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have once had my big G. aureostriata slap at the paint brush I was using to try and usher her out of her "space" prior to rehousing. Gave me a fright at first 'cause she's normally very mellow. I suppose she didn't appreciate the intrusion.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Obt

My OBT smacks everything that comes near him, not once but usually three times in quick succession and then falls over backward in a huge OBT hissy fit. (I try to avoid this, but he has a habit of killing prey and then leaving it sitting there to rot, not a very tidy boy).

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It wasn't a smack but when I tapped a rosie's bottom she turned around and grabbed my finger. She didn't bite down but she grabbed me with her legs but once she realized it was my finger, she paused.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my P. cancerides smacks my paintbrush whenever given the chance.

dalejamin

Arachnopeon
LOL :D I'm glad my E. campestratus isn't the only one who can be moody. My little girl pretty much slaps me whenever I get near her. That, or she makes a run for her hide. Suffice it to say, I don't handle her much :razz:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I should have added, this excludes the smacking while in threat posture. Its cool to see so many people have felt it, its so bizarre how strong they are!

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My rosie did it before... was removing a cricket leg ( i always suse my hands btw, never had a reason for tweezers) and she decided it was hers... ran up and slapped my hand, it was crazy and scared me much, haha

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only my H lividum smacks everything that I use to give maintenance in its enclosure,. :D

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My OBT smacks everything that comes near him, not once but usually three times in quick succession and then falls over backward in a huge OBT hissy fit. (I try to avoid this, but he has a habit of killing prey and then leaving it sitting there to rot, not a very tidy boy).
i have a male obt that does the same thing. if i put crickets in and he doesnt want to eat he will slap them three times and move away.