Has anyone seen blatta lateralis/shelfordella tartara breaking through an egg case?

simon780

Arachnopeon
Today when I was cleaning their tank and picking up some egg cases, I put the egg cases on a little dish, and I see one of the egg case was moving, so I carefully looked at it, and I saw a lateralis's larva broke through an egg case, and I saw another the same looking larva was in the soil of the tank too.

I though newly born lateralis aren't larvae, they should have legs just like a "roach", has anyone actually seen it? :?

I have seperated one into a container, I will see how it will do!!

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Every individual comes in their own little sack. The sacks are attached to the ootheca and the roaches pull clean from it once fully outside the ootheca. A few minutes later they stretch leir legs, spread out arround the ootheca and rest for an hour. Then they're off to the nearest warm place to rest another few days.

simon780

Arachnopeon
Hi Cirith Ungol,

They are already outside of the ootheca they were it, and I don't see them strenching their legs in few minutes, I watched it over an hour, it was still using its body to move. Maybe that process takes longer than a few minutes, or maybe I am not heating them up, I just keep them in room temperature. I will check it again tonight~

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Yeah, you're actually right, it's not guaranteed to work that fast nessessarily. What I've seen is that it can take longer or it can even be so that they die inside the skin sack and never crawl out of that. But that seems to depend on how healthy the ootheca has been from the beginning and if possibly the babies are born with defects which prevent them to work properly.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've seen a fair amount of them hatch and they just sort of pop out and the legs start working right away and they are off. Perhaps the humidity is a little off (low)?? Personally I haven't seen what you are describing.

simon780

Arachnopeon
Their humidity should be quite high, I spray their tank every 2-3 days and I used soil as their substrate, maybe they were the defected.
I checked on the one I have seprated earlier, but no roach there, maybe it's probably dead, I will just keep the container for a few more weeks.

When it was breaking through the egg case, I was going to grab a camera, but then I realised it was way too small, I can only hardly see it with my own eyes.