Has anyone heard of the cricket virus?

lunashimmer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And I forgot to mention that I have 3 crix left from this batch I bought Monday. One has mangled back legs and unkempt wings. It's medium-size. The other 2 are a bit larger and one is chirping. They seem to be ok but aren't eating. Usually when I dump some fish flakes in there they go nuts and devour it. So, I don't know... :?

eruheru

Arachnopeon
I haven't noticed anything wrong in New York (long Island). Maybe that's because I don't buy in the same bulk that most of you seem too. I guess it's time to start a dubia colony.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I typically buy a ton on 2 week olds and raise them over a few weeks, just buying big ones for the big Ts. I've noticed the ones I've been raising lately are dying off before the adult stage, or if they make it, they are malformed and/or really small.

x007

Arachnopeon
virus

Yea this first I have heard of this too. I really havent had no trouble to speak of. I usually buy my crickets in tube from flukers 50 at a time 1/2 and 3/8 inch 1/2 inch I was able to keep alive for 4 weeks but thats really taking care of them. Just got some from LPS adult even there doing ok for the age except of coarse what mt T's eat. Also have roach colony now glad I did start this with this going on.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tried to raise a colony from 1000 but that seems to have failed. at least 75-80% died.
I've got about 40-50 matures left. The females are laying eggs and the males are chirping. Im guessing if the babies hatch they will probably not make it to adults anyways. It would be nice though.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had a cricket colony going for close to a year. I was going to buy some from the store to introduce some new blood into the group, until I read about this.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if nothing else it begins the fun experimentation of new sources for feeders :)

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought 4 dozen crickets from my local pet store a week ago, a dozen can normally last me about 2 weeks as I only feed crickets to some frogs I have that just don't attack roaches like they do crickets. In less the a week after having fed only about 10 out all were dead. I also noticed after buying 4 dozen for almost 7 dollars that my lps prices had risen. They were dollar for a dozen two months ago.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Buying adult crickets is always a roll of the dice. You have no idea how long they've been mature.
+1 Yup. One of the very reasons I provide a moist soil box to every adult cricket order I get now. If I'm going to buy adult crickets that are going to either be eaten or drop dead, might as well get a bunch of pinheads out of it in the end. *shrug*

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I am confused. The first linked article is from 2004. I found another article searching from 2004 also. Is this a current issue, or isn't it? Just asking because threads and articles ressurect all the time.

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first article linked is from 2004, but this is an issue effecting suppliers now as well. If you go to Gahnn's Cricket farm they have a faq on this virus that was linked and quoted earlier in this thread. Gahnn's is one of the largest us cricket farm operations and where shown on dirty jobs a few months back. I'd say if supply is hitting its going to be a bigger issue.

On a side note the 250 pinhead crickets I got from ghanns 3 weeks ago are holding up just fine.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
The first article linked is from 2004, but this is an issue effecting suppliers now as well. If you go to Gahnn's Cricket farm they have a faq on this virus that was linked and quoted earlier in this thread. Gahnn's is one of the largest us cricket farm operations and where shown on dirty jobs a few months back. I'd say if supply is hitting its going to be a bigger issue.

On a side note the 250 pinhead crickets I got from ghanns 3 weeks ago are holding up just fine.
I red the FAQ from Ghann's crickets. I just couldn't find a recent article anywhere else. I think I am going to ask around and email some people before I help spread the panic any further though.

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
While not any more of a fact then another cricket companys site.

www.premiumcrickets.com/

Has this at there site:
Due to such a large number of cricket companies experiencing the cricket virus and going out of business, we are separating our cricket business from our worm business. Worms will ship from a remote location and not come in contact with our crickets. Unfortunately, to get crickets and worms, you will have two shipping charges. We appreciate your understanding.

Of course this doesn't even make any sense to the point of making someone pay 2 shipping charges everything I've read on this says it only affects one species of crickets.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
I texted a few people and looked around some more and I guess there are shortages for sure. I agree double shipping is a bit too far. There are different crickets at the place I work. They have a colored band behind their neck. I guess I should collect some and start a colony if it really only affects the common pet store variety.

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if nothing else it begins the fun experimentation of new sources for feeders :)
How much do you wanna bet that this is all the result of an overly-elaborate, expensive, and Machiavellian scheme from some roach breeder to increase his sales? Bwahahahaha!

lunashimmer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How much do you wanna bet that this is all the result of an overly-elaborate, expensive, and Machiavellian scheme from some roach breeder to increase his sales? Bwahahahaha!
LOL! I wouldn't be surprised...conspiracies abound!

I got some crix from my LPS today. They are very healthy (unlike the last batch), and obliterated 2 big pinches of fish flakes as soon as I put them in their KK. I'm hoping to get them to lay some eggs as I have a G.pulchra sling coming hopefully Friday, so this will be a good experiment to see if this batch stays healthy enough to have offspring.

While I was at the LPS, I noticed a newly delivered box of live crix on the counter. Those seemed healthy too. I asked the cashier if she'd heard of the virus and she said she hadn't, but would talk to the owner.

Who knows?!?!?! :? From all the posts on this topic, it seems like there's a problem up north, in Canada, and in Europe, but not here in the south. :confused:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Floridians use crickets? All those native and not-so-native roaches...let the breeding commence! Holed up in a N. Florida trailer park in the early 80s we had no shortage of roaches. Hint: they love discounted birthday cakes;)

lunashimmer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Floridians use crickets? All those native and not-so-native roaches...let the breeding commence! Holed up in a N. Florida trailer park in the early 80s we had no shortage of roaches. Hint: they love discounted birthday cakes;)
LOL! We have plenty of "palmettah bugs" outside, what with the woods next door and tons of leaf litter everywhere thanks to all the huge oaks in the neighborhood...'cept we spray for them (I have a big ol' roach phobia) so I could never use them as feeders...and I think I'd end up in a straightjacket if I had to handle them. YUCK.

So, crix for me!!! :p

Heh, "discounted birthday cake". Heh. :D

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are several species here that I'm sure would make good feeders if they were bred down a few generations first.

Oh well.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my understanding is that only domesticus breed plague fast

all the crickets i am interested in do not breed anywhere fast enough to be feeders, just pets. well, not feeders in the first few generations, at any rate =P