Has anyone else had a scorp go AWOL?

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since someone recently brought it up, I'm wondering who else has had a scorpion excape?

It seems like a good idea to post stories so that the rest of us know what to do (and not to do!)

So my questions are,

Which scorpions are the best excape artists? How do they manage to do it? How did you prevent it from happening again, and how did you end of catching (if you did catch it) the excapee?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I've only had one species escape and it was only for about ten minutes after he got out. I found him right next to the electrical outlets pwering the heat and lighting of the tanks. C. vitattus was the scorp. They are pretty good escapees because they are small scorps.
H. spiniferis can be quite an escape artist as well being as they are quite strong and large. They tend to climb things by use of their peds.
Prevention methods for both scorps are a secure lid on the enclosure (vitattus being small require very small gaps between the lid and the enclosure). Also, if there are any air lines or other supply regulators of humidity, etc, they can climb them, so make sure they are set up with no gaps at the entrance for the lines, etc.
Use of a blacklight is almost always required to find them. As I stated in my previous post of scorpion escaped (something like that), I drop some crickets on the floor to keep the scorpion in the same place it is. I found the vitattus eating on a cricket when I did find him shortly after he got out.

adios,
edw.
=D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had an adult female p. imperator escape, but only because I got distracted and forgot to put the top back on its kritter keeper. it was kept on the top shelf (about 5' off from the floor) of a multi shelf unit. I happened to find it in the corner behind the same shelf unit before anyone knew it had escaped.
Ed

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
C. exilicauda has been my only scorp escapee. You could say IT found ME. What should you not do?

* Leave a deli cup lid on loose.

* Assume the scorpion will run and hide and not go for your throat.

* Thoughtlessly swat at that annoying tickle at the base of your neck.

;)

bill

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
*lol*, Bill. I can imagine every bit of that. Then again, I know your experience is far worse than my imagination could probably get.

adios,
edw. :D

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It wasn't that bad, really. If anything, the whole thing was mildly amusing. The nurses kept coming in to look at me, because they'd never seen a "sting victim" before. ;)

BTW - I owe you an email, I'll be sending that today.

bill

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, that sounds good, Bill. Do keep me informed on the Apistobuthus scorps too!

adios,
edw. :D