Has anyone else done this before?

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, the necklace would not be made from the fang itself...rather, a jeweler would make a cast from the fang, and fill it with silver or some such substance. Also, the fang could be preserved in a resin case as sort of a pendant (kind of like those paperweights you see with various things suspended in them, like scorpions)...
Obviously, a fang itself wouldn't last a day on a necklace :)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Safety,
Thanks..No, a fang itself wouldn't last a day..If there were a way to hang it alone, one would have to take a Dremel tool to the the very tip, and gently round the tip, without ruining the shape. :)
Peace,
Gillian

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea my mother uses a resin that makes things really really hard and I think it would be perfect for fangs

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
What about the resin used to preserve tarantulas in?
Peace,
Gillian

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think they are made of chitin, the same protein as the rest of a t's exoskeleton.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Later today I will try the resin , only thing that worrys me is how to dry it. If it lays against something the resin will harden and glue the object to the surface?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Venom,
Thanks.

Bob,
Lemme go fetch my forum magazines..one sec..

OK. got it. ATS Forum Magazine, Vol. 11, #4, pg.135-137. Rhys Brigida wrote an article on preserving tarantulas in resin. He wrote to use the following (and I quote)
"The hobby grade material is available in craft stores is manufactured by a company named ETI located in Fields Landing, CA 95537. (707) 443-9323.
The three items needed to get started are Liquid Plastic casting resin (32oz can), Latex mold builder (16oz can), and Catalyst, also known as liquid hardener (1 oz Container)." (end quote)

I can send the article to whomever would like it. :)
Peace,
Gillian

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what i do to the fangs since there hollow i fill them with hot glue so they keep shape then i drill holes through them or i tie string around them

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ew! Yuck! Jewelery from Tarantula fangs? I can't even stand the idea of wearing fur.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
Ew! Yuck! Jewelery from Tarantula fangs? I can't even stand the idea of wearing fur.
They would be the fangs taken from the molted skin. Not ripping them off the T.
Which is a good bit different then wearing a fur coat.
Minks don't molt out of those skins.
But anyway.
If you have Any leather in your house.
Then your already doing a "Ew, Yuck."
I've been considering fang jewelry but the skins I have that have the best sized fnags are also in the best shape.

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What about dipping them in bronze or silver the way some people have baby shoes bronzed?

suprafly

Arachnopeon
just make sure you don't make it a choker necklace. from experience with shark teeth, anything that close to your neck is likely to give you a nice reminder of the spider you got the fang from.

anywho, try going to sites like kkpacific and ask them if they know how to help you out with your fang.

suprafly out...............................................

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
They would be the fangs taken from the molted skin. Not ripping them off the T.
Which is a good bit different then wearing a fur coat.
Minks don't molt out of those skins.
But anyway.
If you have Any leather in your house.
Then your already doing a "Ew, Yuck."
I've been considering fang jewelry but the skins I have that have the best sized fnags are also in the best shape.
I don't know. I just never could get into wearing, touching, smelling anything that either came from a dead animal or was cast off.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
I don't know. I just never could get into wearing, touching, smelling anything that either came from a dead animal or was cast off.
Can understand that. But what are your shoes made from?
And are you a vegitarian?
Not being a &Itch. Just curious.