Has anyone eaten spider silk?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I don't know, man. It's a 7-year old thread. Is it really necessary to revive it?

Yes. Yes it is necessary. How else could it receive the coveted Tim Benzedrine "Weirdest question posed at Aracnoboards award"? Because I somehow missed it the first time around. Of course, it was posted when I was mainly a Watering Hole denizen, where weird is often the norm...

sasker

Arachnoprince
Yes. Yes it is necessary. How else could it receive the coveted Tim Benzedrine "Weirdest question posed at Aracnoboards award"?
Sorry, I was not aware of such an award. In that case, yes, this thread has added value.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyone have more insight into exactly which amino acids compose spider silk proteins? Is it always alanine and glycine, or does it differ by spider family? Is egg sac casing silk the same composition as web silk?
This is a wonderful question, man :)

Since we are living in a time where, in the Western world, eating insects, arachnids and whatever is hipster (and not) bucks-cool, I would love to start a 'sushi' egg sack & web food business.

I already imagine nuts like George Clooney and Angelina Jolie (plus some YT 'influencer' weirdo) eating the - fully sustainable and eco friendly - Delicatessen of Chef Chris LXXIX :pompous:

Like we say here in Italy: 'Grano a palate' which means: 'Lots of cash' :cigar:

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Sure. Why not. People eat all kinds of weird crap (like bee pollen and royal jelly) and claim it gives them magical holistic powers. I bet someone could easily market "spider silk capsules," and make coin off them. As for actual food? Unless you are full of the woo, I doubt it has much desirability to most people unless heavily prepared and processed, and it's probably not all that. I've gotten webbing in my mouth during woods excursions (especially while horseback riding). The stuff has no taste or texture that seems like it'd make good food.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Sure. Why not. People eat all kinds of weird crap (like bee pollen and royal jelly) and claim it gives them magical holistic powers. I bet someone could easily market "spider silk capsules," and make coin off them. As for actual food? Unless you are full of the woo, I doubt it has much desirability to most people unless heavily prepared and processed, and it's probably not all that. I've gotten webbing in my mouth during woods excursions (especially while horseback riding). The stuff has no taste or texture that seems like it'd make good food.
Yeah I have walked into spider webs and also one time I ate a bee while I was riding my bike. When I lived in Africa, I often found insects (mainly ants) in my foodbowl and I just ate them because I was darn hungry.

There is a whole craze about people drinking unpurified water or "raw water" so anything is possible. That's just stupid, unless you want to try the Guardia Diet or something. People can be real dumb.

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Ah ah, but Royal jelly is awesome! :)
Sure! If you are a bee. :p

I used to be all into that stuff (and I still am to a degree), but learned it's good to have a healthy dose of skepticism with open-mindedness.

Yeah I have walked into spider webs and also one time I ate a bee while I was riding my bike. When I lived in Africa, I often found insects (mainly ants) in my foodbowl and I just ate them because I was darn hungry.

There is a whole craze about people drinking unpurified water or "raw water" so anything is possible. That's just stupid, unless you want to try the Guardia Diet or something. People can be real dumb.
Oh, yeah! There's reasons why water needs to be decontaminated.

I think a lot of people buying into this stuff are cancer/immune illness-phobic. Sometimes it's justifiable. Going backwards may not be the complete answer but maybe it gets people to rethink other methods to decontaminate water than using stuff like chlorine.

And for all my mocking of marketing and consuming spider silk, just watch. Knowing how things go, some solid studies will come out proving it has some kind of special immuno-protectant amino thingiemajigs that prevent face cancer or the dog Type P flu epidemic or something. Real life is stranger than fiction.

But I still think it's flavorless and unappealing. :astonished:

I'd rather go eat rice noodles. :)

SquishySquid

Arachnopeon
I’ve eaten tarantulas fried in Cambodia. Not sure in species because they’d been thoroughly cooked. Taste an awful lot like crab.

As for Silk, never on purpose lol

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Okay I have a story about royal jelly. My mother in law bought me a bunch of Royal jelly capsules right after I had a baby "to get my beauty back". I did not take them because 1. I couldn't see what the ingredients were and it seemed sketchy and 2. Out of principle because newly post partum women should be allowed to look like deflated balloons for a while. Anyway, apparently Royal Jelly is used as some expensive beauty supply.

Next thing will be spider silk capsules for longer eyelashes/fewer wrinkles/ smaller thighs/ better sense of humor/ less existential dread.

Only $100 per capsule!

:rofl:

sasker

Arachnoprince
I’ve eaten tarantulas fried in Cambodia. Not sure in species because they’d been thoroughly cooked. Taste an awful lot like crab.
I believe Haplopelma albostriatum is usually eaten in Cambodja. But indeed, they eat everything and anything with more than 4 legs in Cambodia, so it may have been another tarantula.

Next thing will be spider silk capsules for longer eyelashes/fewer wrinkles/ smaller thighs/ better sense of humor/ less existential dread.
Maybe people will finally not be so grossed out by spiders and killing them on sight will finally stop

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
It doesn't make sense to eat a relatively small invert that takes longer to mature then some farm animals. If you were gonna eat inverts straight up, Dubai roaches or super worms would be more economical.....if the end product could be made palatable, eg just ground into powder and made into a candy bar