Harpactira pulchripes flipped on back but not moulting

achetwyn123

Arachnopeon
hi all,
i’m fairly new to keeping tarantulas(only had them about a year) and have an around 6 inch Harpactira pulchripes which i have had for about 6 months which had flipped onto its back into a pre-moult position with one of its legs buried. it has been that way for 24 hours now with no sign of moving. before this the spider showed no signs of pre moult (no extra webbing and just ate the day before yesterday) and it’s last moult was around a month ago. was just about to rehouse it before this occurred and humidity/temp aren’t an issue. any advice as to what might have happened?? image.jpg

image.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You sure it didn’t fall ? They don’t generally molt a month apart at this size ..

cold blood

Staff member
yeah, ts dont flip over for any reason but molting....that t fell and is now dying or dead.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
hi all,
i’m fairly new to keeping tarantulas(only had them about a year) and have an around 6 inch Harpactira pulchripes which i have had for about 6 months which had flipped onto its back into a pre-moult position with one of its legs buried. it has been that way for 24 hours now with no sign of moving. before this the spider showed no signs of pre moult (no extra webbing and just ate the day before yesterday) and it’s last moult was around a month ago. was just about to rehouse it before this occurred and humidity/temp aren’t an issue. any advice as to what might have happened?? View attachment 474776

View attachment 474778
Any pictures of the cage? Was it set up for tree spider ..? I’d say it’s probably a goner.

pststarantulas

Arachnopeon
yeah, ts dont flip over for any reason but molting....that t fell and is now dying or dead.
A little off topic here but would you say about a tarantula that DOES regularly flip on its back for seemingly no reason? There’s a girl who posts on FB a lot whose tarantula does it and nobody (not even a vet) could tell her why! Doesn’t molt when it does it. Surely there’s some explanation.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
A little off topic here but would you say about a tarantula that DOES regularly flip on its back for seemingly no reason? There’s a girl who posts on FB a lot whose tarantula does it and nobody (not even a vet) could tell her why! Doesn’t molt when it does it. Surely there’s some explanation.
She's Australian, duh.

cold blood

Staff member
is she watching it flip?....if not its almost certainly falling and the enclosure is the problem.....the only time I have seen a t flip for no reason would be if its showing severe DKS symptoms that are affecting its motor skills.

pststarantulas

Arachnopeon
is she watching it flip?....if not its almost certainly falling and the enclosure is the problem.....the only time I have seen a t flip for no reason would be if its showing severe DKS symptoms that are affecting its motor skills.
Flipping over in the water dish every single time, nowhere else in the enclosure. Terrestrial T. I believe she had made changes to test different theories but still no real explanation. I don’t want to post her pictures without permission or anything but yeah, just kind of interesting!

cold blood

Staff member
Flipping over in the water dish every single time, nowhere else in the enclosure. Terrestrial T. I believe she had made changes to test different theories but still no real explanation. I don’t want to post her pictures without permission or anything but yeah, just kind of interesting!
so, you didnt answer the critical question I asked....is she watching it flip or just finding it upside down?