Haplopelma schmidti losses a leg?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Please help, tonight i come home and see my Chinese Gold Earth Tiger(Haplopelma schmidti) has lost a leg. She is a wild cuaght adult that i have had for about 6 mounths. She has not eatin since i got her. I did notice a couple of bumps on her leges in the last few weeks. They looked like dirt stuck in the joints of her legs. Tonight her leg is on the bottom of the tank with SEVERAL MITES ON IT. Now im in a panic. I cleaned out the entire tank. My conserne is that these mights are gonne spread to my other spiders. There was only a few, but I dont want to see all my spiders attacked by mites. This is the last time i will ever by a wild cuaght adult:(
Does anybody have tips on keeping therse might from spreading? Here is some pics

Fungii

Arachnopeon
After you said she hasn't eaten since you got her, I thought she might have ripped off her leg for food! [yeah, I'm weird]

No experience with mites tho, sorry. Good luck!

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't know about the lost leg, but I've heard that most WC Haplopelma are carrying some sort of parasite infection, sure hope that's not the case with your spider!
Good luck,
Joost

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Philth. Did you say She and Her?

I Know I am Far from an expert but was just wondering if anyone else thinks that palp looks Awful boxed down and stubbyfied. Or is she holding it with the tip curled under in the picture Philth?

Did you check it's sex, or have it checked and did you Purchase a female? Or told so?

I'm just wondering if this could be a mites and or age problem.

I know I have read Several post partaining to mites and how to be rid of them.
I Thankfuly haven't had an issue with them yet.

Good luck and please keep us posted on the progress.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
EDIT:

haplopelma species are well known for their damaged bodies and regenerations aparently, my WC lividum came with a full pedipalp missing, and half of a spinneret (where it had regenerated) I posted asking for help on a forum, and found that haplopelma suffer from loss easier than other species, but can often cope. Some guy even said one of his lost a chelicarae but got it back with moulting.. Many of them agreed on how haplopelma appear to be able to moult prematurely, simply in order to regenerate losses. sadly the forum has all been reset, so the posts are gone, but post on www.thebts.co.uk if you want more

wild caught+not eating = id gues sits going to lay an egg (if its female)

www.brum-tarantulas.com has some good info on removing mites :)

maybe look for more info on what its natural environment is like and try to mimic it greater, with temp' and humidity more

hope that helps!

oh yeah, raise the temp a bit and humidity if possible, that should provoke an early moult (unless its male at final..)

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I was told that it was a female when i bought it. Its not a Mature male if it is a male. I dont see any mites crawling on her right now but she does have small cluster like things on the joints of her legs. I seperated her from all my other bugs. If she has eggs than great, but i dont think so. If she does have parasites, and then she molts, will the parasites molt of her? Thanks for all the help