Haplopelma Lividum sling!

Mike B

Arachnopeon
Was wondering if anyone had experience with these as slings? As I understand it these are a burrowing species. During the day my sling will hang out right under the lid to its enclosure and at night it seems to come down and explore. I was wondering if this behavior seems normal. During the day the house is at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. It's enclosure is well ventilated. I use coconut fiber substrate and I made sure it was moistened before introducing the sling to its enclosure.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Was wondering if anyone had experience with these as slings? As I understand it these are a burrowing species. During the day my sling will hang out right under the lid to its enclosure and at night it seems to come down and explore. I was wondering if this behavior seems normal. During the day the house is at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. It's enclosure is well ventilated. I use coconut fiber substrate and I made sure it was moistened before introducing the sling to its enclosure.

By "lid to it's enclosure" I'm assuming you mean it's hidey hole or do you mean the actual lid of the tub? If you meant the lid, did you make a little starter burrow?

They can take a week or two to actually make a proper burrow, my Haplopelma sp bach ma did anyway.

Last edited:

Mike B

Arachnopeon
No, this is day 3 is in its new enclosure and it doesn't even appear to have attempted to dig a hole. I meant the opening to its enclosure.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Yeah, they can take a little while to create their own.

Just make a "starter" burrow, it will take to that after a short while. Some make one quicker than others while acclimatising.

My vonwirthi made one within a day, but my sp bach ma didn't for 10 days or so.

Mike B

Arachnopeon
Cool thanks, I justwanted to make sure it wasn't something I did.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
You could pt in a small piece of cork bark for it to hide under until it gets settled and burrows, for a burrowing species it's common to have something else in the enclosure other than just substrate.

Mike B

Arachnopeon
I guess I spoke too soon, I got home after work yesterday and it made itself a little Web tunnel down low to hide in.