Haplopelma albostriatum ?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey All,

Question for the Haplo fans out there. Does albostriatum get tibial apophysis? I always thought that members of the Haplopelma genus get the hooks... I'm assuming that I'm incorrect and not that I have some weird specimen as this guy has emboli, but no hooks that I can see.... He's also lived his whole life in a 16 oz deli cup. I always thought he was going to outgrow this cup one day.... guess not.....

Anyway, if anyone knows if this sp. gets hooks or not, please let me know....

Scott

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm not a Haplopelma fan, but since the latest ATS Forum had this exact subject covered, I'll just repeat what it says:
The list below was contributed by Luc Ross, Rick West, and Volker von Wirth. The genera listed don’t have tibial apophyses, also called tibial spurs or hooks. The two species listed don’t have tibial apophyses, but others in those genera do.
Augacephalus (not yet listed in Platnick), Chilobrachys, Citharischius, Coremiocnemis, Heteroscodra, Hysterocrates, Metriopelma, Nhandu carapoensis, Orphnaecus, Phlogiellus, Phormingochilus, Phoneyusa, Poecilotheria, Selenocosmia, Sericopelma, Stromatopelma,
Theraphosa blondi.
So, at least according to this, a male should have apophyses.

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Scott

Hey Scott,
Yes they do, they get the tibia hooks but one thing for sure males dont get that big he was 3 inches and she is 6" female all femme fatale. I acquired the pentultimate male from Tommy last year but He didnt survive the mating. He was slowly moving toward her tapping she responded by bolting and sinking his fangs in him "I was in shock for how fast she moved I didnt even have a chance in saving him"

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
So does this mean that you currently have a breedable female looking for a male? :)

Scott

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Update

Hey All,

Got a better look at this one last night and he does have tibial hooks. Must've been the angle that I was looking at him the last time that I didn't notice them. I'm so happy I don't have a mutant :). Now to find someone with a female.....

Scott