Handling

AmysAnimals

Arachnobaron
Is there any one on here who never handles their T's? I have been wanting to get a tarantula for a long time but I don't know that I would want to handle it.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi

You can keep T´s without handling them. They dont need handling. They can be moved safely in small bins. So go for it;-)

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
As mentioned by Pociemon, no need to handle them, it's personal preference if you do want to but nothing in it for the spider and the risk of accidental injury or mishap is always there. I do handle mine, but only one of the 12 I have and then it's a small very docile species.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
+1 and +1 to the above responses. I rarely if ever handle mine. The occasional individual may walk out onto my hand during maintenance or rehousing, but I never set out to handle them. It's foreign to them, potentially dangerous, and usually unnecessary.

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
i dont handle mine cuz he is an obt....all look and show, never touch lol ive seen what they do to people that hold em.

Deftones90

Arachnosquire
I don't handle mine either because a) most of my collection is pokies. b) those pokies are quick. and the H. macs are just out of the question obviously lol you couldn't pay me to handle my bigger H. mac.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
You certainly do not need to handle to be in the hobby. Many many keepers prefer not too. I only have New Worlds at the moment and while I have a few that are definitely able to be handled, I still rarely handle mine.

Do keep in mind though, that while you may not want to handle, sometimes spiders have their own things in mind. I have wound up with a sling on my hand on more than one occasion because it wandered out while doing maintanence, not a big deal but just something to keep in mind.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
I have never handled mine. Why take the risk? It usually just bugs the spider.

DeRez

Arachnopeon
I know many people discourage handling, but I think if your Ts is not too stressed out about it and it's done in a safe manner, then why not. Out of the 8 I currently have, only 3 have I attempted to handle. I handle my G. Rosea a lot, shes been held and petted by 3 & 4 year olds. Never once reared up or acted defensively. Like most roses, shes very docile and calm, like a pet. I have a 5" juvi L. Parahybana that I try to handle, but he is very fast and skittish and has pooped on me. I don't think he likes to be handled (none of them do), but he does not act aggressively. I also have a 1.5" B. Smithi that will hang out on your hand, but can be fast and run, and I don't want to lose the little guy. When my GBB gets bigger, I want to try and handle it more. It's about 1" now and is very calm when I'm rearranging it's enclosure and I have held it when upgrading it from it's original vial to new home.

Does anyone think that arachnids are like mammals and lizards in the respect of domestication and getting used to being around humans? So, the more they are handled, the more comfortable they become with us. I'm not sure, but I would love to hear others thoughts.

ruca49

Arachnopeon
I agree...the only reason I handle mine is to rehouse...Or if you need to move one to an ICU or something along that line...IMO they get nothing out of being handled so why do it...

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’m new to the hobby – at the moment I own one, a B. smithi. I’ve handled her on many occasions without any mishaps. I understand the risk to both myself and my T. To date, she has been as sweet as pie – hasn’t kicked a hair or made even the slightest hint of threat display. Though I’m sure I’m projecting, she appears to enjoy resting in the palm of my hand.

With that said, I only handle her very close to the floor or on our bed.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I don't think you should handle T's just for your own amusment, but if you have a docile tarantula that needs to bemoved out of its enclosure for whatever reason, sometimes its just easyer to let it walk on your hand,

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
I only handle a few of mine. Most of my collection are fast arboreals, so handling is usually out of the question. Same goes for my insanely evil G. rosea. But I do handle my avics and some of my others, because I use those in demonstrations to highschoolers and whatnot. But I agree, for the casual owner, handling is just a personal preference.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i own several handleable T's...i dont handle them that often, and when i do, i make sure they are as stress free as possible, most of them walk out onto my hands without them being coaxed...i hold my 8" L. parahybana female, 6" A. avicularia female, 5" A. urticans female, 6" A. metallica female, 6" G. pulchripes female, and sometimes i hold some of my smaller slings...pretty much any sling that i order as long as its in the very young stage, i hold before rehoming...especially the more venomous old worlds because it will be the last time i ever hold them...

cnapple

Arachnoknight
I'd like to add that, while handling is not necessary, you should be prepared for accidental handling. This may not be the pet for you if you feel you might react badly and unsafely to it should it decide to "handle" you. Panicking when a t walks onto your hand could result in injury to you or, most likely, the t.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh sweet, another handling thread...

Good thing, too, because the boards are definitely lacking in them. We only have, what, about 1,287 or so?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well then its such a blessing to have you around posting on it now isnt it
Oh sweet, another handling thread...

Good thing, too, because the boards are definitely lacking in them. We only have, what, about 1,287 or so?