handling different Ts

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have more than one T and you decide to handle them, even if you wash your hands, do they smell the other Ts you have just handled and get defensive about it?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you wash your hands inbetween I doubt they sinse anything from the other T. They might if you dident, but I dont think it would change their behavior.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone knows where's the nose?

Do tarantula's even have the ability to smell? I know their setae can pick up vibrations and sense movements. I am sure they can detect a presence...but how? Wouldn't it just be by sight and vibration?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, they can smell. They have the ability to smell with their feet. I'm not sure how it works but that's how male T's know to start vibrating the females web to mate. That's how they know there is a receptive female home.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've wondered about how that works myself. I bet that it's really not quite smell or taste and yet both at the same time, if that makes any sense. Imagine... every step you take you smell/taste (smaste?) everything that's been there before you. That's probably how they stalk crickets around the enclosure. It's fascinating to me how dramatically differently T's must experience the world when compared with people.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's not the traditional smell that we know but like etown 411 said. Closer to like tasteing the air and dirt. A snakes tongue allows them to taste the air and that's how that smell. It's not like that but sorta the same concept.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm...that's pretty interesting, I did not know that. I just figured it was all from sight, and vibrations.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
If you have more than one T and you decide to handle them, even if you wash your hands, do they smell the other Ts you have just handled and get defensive about it?
Nah, if they're gonna get defensive about anything, your hands would be enough.

Do tarantula's even have the ability to smell? I know their setae can pick up vibrations and sense movements. I am sure they can detect a presence...but how? Wouldn't it just be by sight and vibration?
Most definately. Through open-ended sensory hairs.

A snakes tongue allows them to taste the air and that's how that smell. It's not like that but sorta the same concept.
A snake's tongue brings in air particles to an organ in the roof of the mouth, (pretty much a nose). The tongue doesn't smell.

-Sean

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they have the ability to chemicaly analyse what they touch

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tarantulas can "smell and taste" everything they touch with their hairs. So they can most definately pick up chemical signatures of other Tarantulas. This will not make them bite you anymore than the presence of your hand itself however. They don't get jelous like a dog smelling another dog on you.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
not jealous, but territorial

I don't mean jealous, but territorial with the thought of another tarantula in the vicinity?

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't mean jealous, but territorial with the thought of another tarantula in the vicinity?
Tarantulas wouldn't see a fellow T any different than any other creature entering their area of operation. Their instinct is to usually kill it regardless. Thus the reason your hand is of the same threat level.

-Note, again with the exception of the species that will co-habbit. But in those cases sometimes the other tarantulas are only tolerated to a certain degree.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Regarding T's senses, can you guys please help me clarify this one :

I know that T's have 8 eyes and that their vision is somewhat poor. Could you elaborate on this??

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Regarding T's senses, can you guys please help me clarify this one :

I know that T's have 8 eyes and that their vision is somewhat poor. Could you elaborate on this??
Tarantula vision detects light and darkness. They can sense movement through vibrations and could technically "see" you comming if your shadow cast over them. It is speculated that many arboreals have better vision.