Handling a fast Brazilian Black

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Grammostola pulchra is as fast as an arboreal. She is non-aggressive, but she is skittish when I handle her. She shed a few weeks ago, and she's about 3.5 inches. I have to handle her close to the carpet, because after walking the "hand to hand esculator", she eventually either runs under my hand or arm or even to the carpet. She also excretes a tan/gray liquid on me which I believe is tarantula poop.

While this is much better than being bit, I expected this species to be more docile to handle.

Has anyone had a G. pulchra that is a track star like mine? Anyone else have a T that slimes them with T poop? :8o

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Professor T,
Sounds like you have a male to me, but thats not 100%. Male in most species are much more skitish than females.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Brandon
Professor T,
Sounds like you have a male to me, but thats not 100%. Male in most species are much more skitish than females.

Sincerely,

Brandon
Brandon,

I thought the sheds have been clear on its sex, she's a female. She's even super fast when pouncing on a cricket. She's fast whether I hold her or not.

Her signature move is the 180 degree spin and pounce. Crickets don't know what hit them.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Professor T
Brandon,

I thought the sheds have been clear on its sex, she's a female. She's even super fast when pouncing on a cricket. She's fast whether I hold her or not.

Her signature move is the 180 degree spin and pounce. Crickets don't know what hit them.
Pro T,
I did a search for a shed pic. and couldn't find it.
Maybe you didn't post one?
Anyway, a couple of my T's do the 180 degree move. Its so cool.
I find myself laughing everytime. :}

Ernie

BTW, I bought 3 B.smithi's before I got a female.:(
Over $ 210.00 worth of smithi's. I should have just bought a sub-adult female to began with, it would have been cheaper.

Last edited:

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My g. pulchra molted last night/this a.m.

I didn't feed her last night when I made my feeding rounds because she was hiding in her hide, looking very listless. I made a quick mental plea "be molting, not dying"...and moved on to the ravenous rosie..
This a.m., brand new g. pulchra and as pretty as can be :)

Ours is not fast, she is very very docile, and when you handle her she just sits on your hand. But remember that they are all individuals, and every now and then one of them is gonna behave just like they haven't "read the book".

And to you, Ernie...
I bought ONE b. smithi at an inch big...and its a female ;P ;P ;P

Kim

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT

BTW, I bought 3 B.smithi's before I got a female.:(
Over $ 210.00 worth of smithi's. I should have just bought a sub-adult female to began with, it would have been cheaper.
Ernie,
I bought a 2.5" female B. smithi at the Tampa show in March for $55, she's now over 3". She shed 2 weeks ago, and ate her first cricket after the shed this afternoon. =D