Hand pet Ts or shelf beauties?

BlujayOnTheWing

Arachnopeon
What do you look for most or prefer in your spiders- docile, low-key Ts that you can get out, mess with, and have a good look at? Or rare, beautiful, extravagant Ts that may or may not be "look but don't touch"? Just curious ;)

For me, I really prefer not to have pets that I can't or don't want to pick up or touch, which is one reason that I only have one so far instead of a massive collection. Unfortunately, she's a bit skittish and easily agitated, so I don't really handle her much, anyway :\ If I get another, I'm looking at G Pulchripes, and it'll be a sling so maybe being handled regularly early in life will help...? That's sort of what I'm hoping, anyway.

Thoughts?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No disrespect here so please don't get offended but have you tried a typical mammalian pet? They are much more warm and cozy and will suit the need you have to handle your T.

While I don't think *some* handling of a T is wrong or bad too much can lead to stress in the animal and the plethora of health issues that come with over stress. Many here on these forums do handle and well that's their right the same as yours however I, myself, do not handle most of the 10 I have unless it's a more docile species and only for relocating if I'm doing enclosure maintenance or re-housing.

Welcome to to the forums and make sure to read up on this handling argument (oh yes, it's near weekly debated topic) by using the search function above top right. It's an invaluable source of information and it would do you wise to search first and then ask second :)

Oh and just something else to add since it may come up in the future for you if your a total newcomer to the hobby, vertebrate feeding. Please make sure to do a extensive search of these forums if you have questions *before* asking any questions. I say this because it is an even more fiery discussion and debate here and most likely because of it may turn you off from coming back (trust me, just search first :D)

Welcome again, cheers!

BlujayOnTheWing

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice, but that's not really what I meant :\ I know tarantulas aren't 'friendly' and they aren't toys. For myself, I prefer animals that I know I can handle safely and without fear, because the idea of having to deal with a crotchety, bitey tarantula (or any other animal) in some kind of emergency makes me very uncomfortable. Also, it's nice to be able to pick up and inspect a pet to make sure it's healthy- for example, I know it's not a good idea to handle frogs regularly because their skin is delicate and our hands are hot, dry, and salty, but once in awhile one escapes, or has some kind of injury, or whatever- and I have to be able to grab and hold onto it for a brief period of time. If I had a T in that situation that I know is 'mean', I'd be nervous and hesitant, less willing to just jump in and scoop it up, more likely to make a mistake, and less prepared to take the best possible course of action. And what about the friends/family who are skeptics and don't believe a tarantula is a safe pet? Having only Ts that you're unwilling to handle wouldn't exactly convince them otherwise.

Others who are more experienced than I am, or less nervous around mood-swing spiders, or with more practical means to deal with them in emergencies, might not think twice about getting a species with a reputation for a bad attitude. I was just wondering about preferences *shrug*

If I want a cuddle, I go to my cats. I don't sit around watching movies with a T on my lap; as long as there's a debate, I'm going to throw in my two-cents by saying that yes, that's stupid. Newbie or no, I'm not completely ignorant ;)

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Though I rarely handle my T's I have a little of both.Some docile new worlder's and some defensive old worlder's. I like my old world T's but they are strictly display animals,defensive though they sometimes can be if your cautious and aware of the T you will have no problems caring for them,and you cant beat the variety of old world species out there.On the other hand I rather like having T's that I know I'll have no problems tending to when the time comes.My Avicularia's fit me to a T,arboreal,docile,heavy webber and just an all around awesome T for someone that chooses to handle. As for the G.pulchripes you looked into getting if a docile terrestrial is what your looking for you can't go wrong with that T.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice, but that's not really what I meant :\ I know tarantulas aren't 'friendly' and they aren't toys. For myself, I prefer animals that I know I can handle safely and without fear, because the idea of having to deal with a crotchety, bitey tarantula (or any other animal) in some kind of emergency makes me very uncomfortable.
Understood. I didn't mean to offend but the way it came over, to me, was more a handle situation that could be used to show friends, family, etc for the sake of wow factor; my bad.

Also, it's nice to be able to pick up and inspect a pet to make sure it's healthy- for example, I know it's not a good idea to handle frogs regularly because their skin is delicate and our hands are hot, dry, and salty, but once in awhile one escapes, or has some kind of injury, or whatever- and I have to be able to grab and hold onto it for a brief period of time. If I had a T in that situation that I know is 'mean', I'd be nervous and hesitant, less willing to just jump in and scoop it up, more likely to make a mistake, and less prepared to take the best possible course of action.
Understood here as well which is why I relate to handling in the form of capturing for re-housing, et all. Everyone *should* handle a bit in my honest opinion not for the show factor but more for the "what if" situations you present. Knowing how you'll react in a case of emergency or need is crucial and while you didn't necessarily express this in the initial post I know understand more and agree.

And what about the friends/family who are skeptics and don't believe a tarantula is a safe pet? Having only Ts that you're unwilling to handle wouldn't exactly convince them otherwise.
This however I disagree with. A pet goldfish is certainly not going to attack you or cause you pain or grief yet I bet, alike most, you don't go around handleing it either; much like a tarantula. Each T, regardless if it's species history, can and will bite/flee if it feels like it and your ability to handle it has no bearing as to it's ability to bite/defend when it feels like it. What you regard as nothing it may interpret as life or death.

Also it's my opinion that regardless of handling you CAN teach people they are safe. I had never related being able to handle a tarantula to it being safe and would rather empower those "skeptics" by teaching them about tarantulas in general then showing one in my hand to prove it's "safe".

The words defensive and docile are thrown about as if they are the standard nomenclature and can be taken literally however even a "docile" tarantula can and has bitten someone, sometime, somewhere as well some of the more "defensive" categorized tarantulas are mere puppies.

I'm going to throw in my two-cents by saying that yes, that's stupid. Newbie or no, I'm not completely ignorant ;)
Ignorance is bliss my dear and while you may have common sense to understand they won't sit on your lap and watch a movie does not mean the next guy/gal won't and honestly you would be surprised at what comes up on these forums from time to time that would, I bet, make you recant that statement ;)

I've known some brilliant people in my past that had no common sense and I believe this quote relates that

Henry Norman Hudson said:
Common sense in one view is the most uncommon sense. While it is extremely rare in possession, the recognition of it is universal. All men feel it, though few men have it.
Hope I did not offend any further..