Hadrurus Arizonensis

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been reading quite a few threads regarding these Scorpions and see a lot of people keep these on sand, now I have a few Hairy's and have been experimenting substrate I have had 5 specimens of different sizes on bone dry Coir, and have had them shed and grow nicely they have been on this substrate for near on 2 yrs.

I have been observing there behaviour to see if there are any differences in my specimens kept on Sand/Clay and them on Coir obviously I know each specimen has a different personality, but to see if there was any identical behaviour patterns of the specimens kept on same substrate. Conclusion was none

My question is despite conflicting reports on substrate to use to satisfy the Hairy's needs and my little experiment which is ongoing what do other people use and think?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that's an interesting experiment you have there. I would be interested in seeing breeding success comparisons. I think that would be your biggest problem. Scorpions are pretty hardy in general. Keeping them alive is one thing. Getting them (and these in particular) to breed successfully is a whole other. If you could breed on both substrates, I know I and others on here would be extremely interested.

Btw, with the dry coco, what is the depth? You obviously have a hide because they can't burrow in dry coco right? What is shape and material of hide? Do you mist at all? Do you provide a water dish? What are their instars?

Thanks! Good work. :worship:

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have never had success with HA's scorpling's never made it past 2nd instar which is frustrating I will confess this was a couple of times and were WC already gravid when purchased.

The hides consist simply of a broken slab stone placed in the enclosure and they dig a scrape under the stone and hide there and seem quite content with this. Being with dry coir they are unable to construct a burrow by there own means, but under the stones they don't really need to, I know in there native they burrow but they do seem happy with this arrangement (Hidden Scorpion happy right?). The substrate depth like with all my Scorpion enclosures are 9-10". I mist the one wall of the enclosure once a month but very lightly, if in pre moult I put a bottle cap lid in topped with water really just to increase humidity levels slightly only experimental though.

I am going to have a crack at breeding soon so watch this space as they say. Thanks for your reply :)

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just curious: What's the purpose of having 9 inches of a substrate that the scoprion cannot burrow into?

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always do put a lot of substrate in with my Scorpions

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Ive been using a Coco-Sand mix. Have two adults atm in separate tanks.

These scorpions seem to love burrowing. The one ive had the longest has quite an impressive tunnel system going on.

In the wild they have deep burrows.. IMO its mostly to control their humidity level around them. Anyone in AZ wanna get a max/min - Temp/Humidity probe and fish it down into a wild burrow.

Think its the only way to replicate what they need. Such an awesome species... think it needs to be breed in captivity. The trade of them must be hurting there numbers in the wild.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
h.arizonensis burrows in the wild cave in a lot. i think they are constantly making new ones. i think teh caving in might help with molting, or with babies. I don't know though.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one forum member reported great success with breeding and slings molting by using the exact sand/dirt from the area in which they were collected

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
I do remember that aswell gromgrom.....

They should go dig a big hole and ship some out to all of us :)