hadogenes sub

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've also wondered, because of the closed type of containers I keep some in with the holes, it might have something to do with acoustics, the holes and air pressure caused by air moving in and out of the holes as I walk by and the way the chip bag makes all that noise. Maybe things are kinda loud in there.
:D thats funny...bag of chips makes scorpion nervous. Its hard to know. Maybe some decent tests might answer the question. Surely they detect air currents, that's what the trichobothria are for..but their vision....its hard to say. I was looking at Lychas through the microscope recently and noticed how forward oriented the large lateral eyes are as if they are used for stereoscopic vision.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is weird. So sensitive to vibrations. When I see the scorps out and I open a bag of chips, that really freaks them out. They back up, move around, go forward and sit there like their trying to figure out what "that" was.

I've also wondered, because of the closed type of containers I keep some in with the holes, it might have something to do with acoustics, the holes and air pressure caused by air moving in and out of the holes as I walk by and the way the chip bag makes all that noise. Maybe things are kinda loud in there.
Most of the time I can't so much as walk by my shelf without everyone whos out scattering. I find that amazing because the floor is cermaic tile, laid over a poured concrete floor.... how the heck do they feel the vibrations with such a solid foundation under them, quite amazing.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most of the time I can't so much as walk by my shelf without everyone whos out scattering.
How much did you say you weigh??? {D

Yeah...that is darn amazing thats for sure, very surprising actually. Maybe its the vision of movement they detect. They might notice a change in light intensity hitting their eyes. I doubt its vibration in this case.

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
figured I started the thread it would only be appropiate to post some pics of my new guy

Also, I was under the assumption that it is an H. Troglodytes but if its not please let me know

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like paucidens... H trog from the SF website doesn't have the yellow hands... any one else, feel free.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definately not a trog, looks like most of the paucidens being sold to me.

Just a fun fact anyone owning one might want to know. When this species was first introduced into the US hobby there were several specimens sent to Prendini for ID. At the time he provided a tentative ID that H. paucidens should be labled as Hadogenes sp., Hadogenes sp. "Tanzania" or H. 'paucidens?'. - not H. paucidens. The species is a member of the H. bicolor group.

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definately not a trog, looks like most of the paucidens being sold to me.

Just a fun fact anyone owning one might want to know. When this species was first introduced into the US hobby there were several specimens sent to Prendini for ID. At the time he provided a tentative ID that H. paucidens should be labled as Hadogenes sp., Hadogenes sp. "Tanzania" or H. 'paucidens?'. - not H. paucidens. The species is a member of the H. bicolor group.
I was wondering why there wasn't a listing for it on scorpion files. If I can manage to mate my two I'd be curous to send one to him.