H.spadix spitting!!

louis1618

Arachnopeon
my H.spadix spit at me 3 times!i got him a week ago,his a sub adult. first time, i was going to pick him up and i felt a mist in my palm. second time i saw a clear spray when i picked him up about 4 to 6 inch .3rd time was the same as the second time.have any of you guys seen this? i want to catch it on video but dont want to force it ,like teasing him .like this video i saw on youtube on a p.transvaalicus.but for science? maybe...

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why don't you just stop picking it up leave it alone its obvouisly not happy with you doing this so why keep hindering it.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats really weird. ive never heard of them spraying venom

but hadix is right. stop holding it since its obviously making it stressed out

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If they actually do spray venom, I'd be interested in seeing it for myself. I think it would be worthwhile to document.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have only had two of these, I was late in getting the species, I still have them. I've never seen them spray and I've grabbed them countless times with them pinching the diddly out of my fingers, they are pretty strong! Maybe scorpion spraying is an evolving thing for some. The ones that I consider using this as a defense that I've seen is P. transvaalicus, maybe some other Parabuthus(I've only had transvaalicus) and maybe some Diplocentrus species. I've seen D. whitei spay and esp. D. lindo, but I don't know if it's a panic reaction or a true defense. But ime, the spray from both these Diplos has a peculiar odor and these two species don't hesitate to let it go when you first catch them so I really consider if it is truly a defense at least for these two diplos.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they actually do spray venom, I'd be interested in seeing it for myself. I think it would be worthwhile to document.
Same here. I highly doubt it. Up till now only some Parabuthus are said to be able to spray venom. But the fine mist some people talk about, up to a meter, is highly anecdotal. What they seem to do is flick venom from their tails, not spraying. If they would want to spray the would need the muscles inside the vesicle, to contract and pump out the venom through the aculeus. There must be room for such muscles, so a large vesicle would be needed.

Btw, animals (and humans for that matter) spit from their mouth, did the venom come out of the mouth?

Regards, Michiel

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Same here. I highly doubt it. Up till now only some Parabuthus are said to be able to spray venom. But the fine mist some people talk about, up to a meter, is highly anecdotal. What they seem to do is flick venom from their tails, not spraying. If they would want to spray the would need the muscles inside the vesicle, to contract and pump out the venom through the aculeus. There must be room for such muscles, so a large vesicle would be needed.

Btw, animals (and humans for that matter) spit from their mouth, did the venom come out of the mouth?

Regards, Michiel
I keep reading of anecdotal data about it and like you said, it could just be flicking. I'd really like to see it on video so all of this can be cleared, but now I'm starting to doubt if his scorpion is even an H. spadix.

He also uses "spitting" and "spray," so I'd like to find that out too lol

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen transvaalicus spray, but sometimes it's a stream and other times a fine mist. The stream can go surprisingly far, there is a rough vid of it on Youtube.

louis1618

Arachnopeon
hey Michiel, i think you might be right about the flicking.it might appear to the naked eye as spray.wish i could remember if it was flicked.but what you said makes the best sence.And no i dont want to stress it so am not going to hold it .especialy on how nervous the hadrurus are, well i think mistery solved thanks michiel.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey Michiel, i think you might be right about the flicking.it might appear to the naked eye as spray.wish i could remember if it was flicked.but what you said makes the best sence.And no i dont want to stress it so am not going to hold it .especialy on how nervous the hadrurus are, well i think mistery solved thanks michiel.

No thanks......I have kept P.transvaalicus too and I always weared goggles when feeding and such. I have pestered them a couple of times (that was the scientist in me, not the human, animal friendly guy). My P.transvaalicus, maybe others too, but I stick to my specimens, start dripping prevenom when agitated. The animal would then take a defensive stance and if you would breath on them, or tap the ground in front of it with tweezers etc, it would thrust the metasoma swiftly forwards as it would when it would sting a prey-item. This resulted in venom drops on my goggles, clothes, side of the container several time. Mine never produced a mist, and I can't acknowledge that they aim. They can sense the direction of a potential threat, then take a defensive stance and when they still feel threatened they will thrust the metasoma forwards, flicking venom.
So, although I am sceptic about spraying and such, I do advise to either wear goggles when working Parabuthus, and not to pester them.....

PS. I tried the same with P.liosoma, but these guys mostly run and hide, and P.villosus will do the same, but when cornered (or when you remove all hides) they start stridulating and assuming a defensive posture. Individual scorpions can have different "characters"...mind that....

Cheers, Michiel

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i also have a p. trans it's a 3i ,at what instar do they start spitting?
If they are able to do so, the age is not relevant. It would be just as important to deter predators at instar 3 as at adultstage. At least that would be logical.