H. schmidti

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, to my amazement, my schmidti did not eat dinner. Tossed a false death head in there and it wanted it, waited for it, got it. The next day I find a dead roach in there. I figure maybe she's saving it for a snack, maybe, come back to it for a slurpy later you know. Nope. Anybody else had this happen before? It's a first for me. Hope it's just in pre-molt or something.

-Jeremy

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen all mine kill crickets and leave them if they arn't really in a munching mood.
Getting the annoying bug out of the way maybe?
General preditory instinct?
A little of both?

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Jeremy,
You should quarantine your H. schmidti, just to be on the safe side. This species as well as the black version (Selenocosmia hainana) are notorious for carrying nematodes.
I just put one in the freezer after a long battle of " I kill it but can't eat it, syndrome". After a while, if you start seeing the juiciness around the chelicera, or what some affectionately call "splooge mouth" (for lack of a better term I guess), chances are there will be no recovery. The last H. schmidti that I had to freeze, had it so bad that the juiciness was writhing and not only confined to the areas between the chelicera, but between the pedipalps and legs I.
These worms are hideous and they anger me to no end, 'cause, as of yet, there is no known fix.
good luck to your spider and try something soft, like a pink.
john

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
Jeremy,
You should quarantine your H. schmidti, just to be on the safe side. This species as well as the black version (Selenocosmia hainana) are notorious for carrying nematodes.
I just put one in the freezer after a long battle of " I kill it but can't eat it, syndrome". After a while, if you start seeing the juiciness around the chelicera, or what some affectionately call "splooge mouth" (for lack of a better term I guess), chances are there will be no recovery. The last H. schmidti that I had to freeze, had it so bad that the juiciness was writhing and not only confined to the areas between the chelicera, but between the pedipalps and legs I.
These worms are hideous and they anger me to no end, 'cause, as of yet, there is no known fix.
good luck to your spider and try something soft, like a pink.
john
I have a B. sabulosum who have something like this i think... she is cinda white and juisi around the epigalistisk furrow (that have to be wrong spelled...)
She is eating good, and molted a month ago. She was worse before she molted though...???
Do you think it could be the same thing?

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey,

actually, i've checked her out many times and find it to be totally clean. i really couldn't tell you what the problem is. i fed it 6 cricets the other day and it ate all of them fine and is doing well. now what, the last time i fed it a pinky it pounced on it and took it into its hide. then i left the room happy it ate. to my amazement when i came back the pinky was crawling around the cage happy as can be. i took it out and fed it to another t, one more willing to eat such a fine meal. this is the schmidti i got from you lariz, and it's still in great shape, just a little picky when it comes to food i guess. you must have spoiled it.

-jeremy