H. minax or H. lividum?

If you only could afford one, whitch one would you choose?

• Haplopelma minax

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Haplopelma lividum

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Or both of them :)

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What would you choose? Dont know witch one to buy.. :?

I would stoped eating for awile, and bought them both :) hehe..

Last edited:

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hands down, haplopelma lividium.. They're both obligate burrowers, so I'd go with the better looking specimen, which the lividium is IMO because of the beautiful color of blue that it has.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
i would get both!! awsome spiders!! the minax is beutiful jet black, and the lividum is a awsome blue!

James

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd get the H. minax since I already have two H. lividum. Another really cool one is H. albostriatum. It's a beautiful spider and I see mine all the time.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i'd get the H. minax only if it was a real H. minax and not a cyriopagopus paganus or H. longipedum or whatever the hell people are selling in place of minax's---Jeff

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lividum has everything minax has got + deep electric blue highlights. All things being equal, get both, but if you can only get one, get the lividum.

Adrian

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H.minax

;P I love my H.minax....I think hands down it is the meanest and nastiest tarantula I have ever had - and my specimen is very large and is a beautiful gleaming velvety black....I prefer my minax over my H.lividum which is a beautiful spider as well but in my opinion spends way too much time hidden away and does not attain the size of the H.minax - so I vote for the Thai Black !!!!!=D

The Evil Spider Hunter

redbadger

Arachnopeon
I vote for H.lividum.......I just wish I could keep a H.liv longer then a month or so....One .75 murdered by a cricket after molt before I could save it...the other escaped into the house....maybe I would have better luck with H.minax...I have a H.lividum curse going~~~~~

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by redbadger
I vote for H.lividum.......I just wish I could keep a H.liv longer then a month or so....One .75 murdered by a cricket after molt before I could save it...the other escaped into the house....maybe I would have better luck with H.minax...I have a H.lividum curse going~~~~~
How long ago did the other one escape into the house? Maybe you could get a few dozen crickets and just let them go in the house too. If you are lucky, you will find the h again. :rolleyes:

Big Dragonfly

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to have special lighting to get the lividium to show up bright blue?

I like the black color of the minax with the leg banding. This t just looks mean -- The Terminator of Ts.

The few times that I have seen lividiums, they just looked kind of shabby with not too much blue at all. Of course they have all been at petstores in small critterkeepers, which aren't the best conditions for display.

Big Dragonfly

redbadger

Arachnopeon
Hey Big Dragonfly,
....Lucky enough I had like 40-50 cricket escape around the same times as the little cobalt approx. 2 1/2 months ago....Hell, crickets
continue to evade and I have water in many of the plant trays on the floor...It has a good chance of surviving......I'm always watching for some hint of life....just hope my toes don't find it before my eyes do! Yikes~~~~~~~
As a Arachnopeon...I had learned a damned good lesson the hard way.......that critter keepers are not appropriate for little spiders....and if big spiders can scale shear plastic and glass containers.....so can the little guys...and they fit through the tiny holes better!...Geezze!:8o

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Im the Haploman

I have all available haplopelma sp. in the hobby that is why Im the haploman;P :} =D :D :)

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Im the Haploman

Originally posted by Haploman
I have all available haplopelma sp. in the hobby that is why Im the haploman;P :} =D :D :)
Haploman (and anyone elso that would like to respond), if you were going to try to persuade a fellow tarantula enthusiast to consider acquiring a Haplopelma species, what could you say to them. What negative things could you say just to be fair? Lastly, if a person could have 1 and only 1 haplopelma, which one would you reccomend and why?

Thanks,

Big Dragonfly

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
depending

haplopelma sp are definately not for the beginner but if you want a good one to start out on the haplopelma genus I would say it would be the Haplopelma Lividum.
Haplopelma Minax is really just too aggressive, nasty, evil for that first one but thats my opinion

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

Originally posted by Haploman

really all?? also Haplopelma sp. "Surat Thani / Phang Nga" and the Haplopelma sp. "Erivan/Thailand"? =;op

all the best,
Martin

PS.: please find attached a photo of a "juvenile" Haplopelma sp. "Surat Thani / Phang Nga":

Attachments

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Martin H.
Hi,

really all?? also Haplopelma sp. "Surat Thani / Phang Nga" and the Haplopelma sp. "Erivan/Thailand"? =;op

all the best,
Martin

PS.: please find attached a photo of a "juvenile" Haplopelma sp. "Surat Thani / Phang Nga":
*Jaw Drops*

Ok! This "Surat Thani/Phang Nga" is F'ing Beautiful. I think that I could easily move this to the top of my to get list if it was available at a good price. Do you have any information on this particular species?

*Picks up Jaw*

WOW
=D Big Dragonfly=D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Martin, in reference to the "Surat Thani / Phang Nga" tarantula, I just got done looking at the other Haplopelmas on your website, and I can't help but to wonder if this juvinile might just be a color variation of Haplopelma schmidti. Or maybe it could even just be a younger Haplopelma schmidti. I don't really have any experience with Haplopelmas. So maybe I'm just not seeing some tell tale signs that would be a dead give-a-way that the two are not the same. Still, I can't deny that it is a gorgeous spider!

Big Dragonfly

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
*Jaw Drops*

Ok! This "Surat Thani/Phang Nga" is F'ing Beautiful. I think that I could easily move this to the top of my to get list if it was available at a good price. Do you have any information on this particular species?
The specimen on the photo is still very young. Bodylength something between 2 - 2,5 cm.
The adults are like a very dark to blakish Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" without the yellowish stripes at the legs and around the carapace, with distinct white rings at the femur/patella and not so distinct white rings at tibia/metatarsus and metatarsus/tarsus. Taxonomically it is similar to H. sp. "aureopilosum" just a different colour, a little bit larger and more stocky. Maybe it's only a local variant of H. sp. "aureopilosum". Volker von Wirth (again =;-) is working to clear this at the moment. It's the reason, why he hasn't published the description of Haplopelma aureopilosum yet.
They are from the region arround Phang Nga and Surat Thani in Thailand.

...don't know if there are already some in the US available. Here in Germany they are bred regularely since several years.

all the best,

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
nice pic Martin

Yeah I meant here in the U.S. hobby but those 2 you mentioned I heard of and of course I want hehehehe that pic of that species is awesome I like how the rim of the carapace is fuzzy isnt that particular species from SW china???

Originally posted by Martin H.
Hi,

all the best,
Martin