H. Minax? and the saga continues

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everybody, I want all the asian species lovers to reply, all those who love Haplopelma genus. I recently was looking through the forums and read the H. minax thread where Volker let people know about the H. minax. Well, I just got a "H. minax" and I don't really know now if it's minax or aureopilosum. I found this pic, which looks almost identicle to mine, but it's not a pic of mine (female) , sorry, I'll try to put it up. Can anyone tell me if their "minax" looks like this? Volker, do minax's look like this or is this the pet trade minax, aureopilosum?

Attachments

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Again!

Hello Martin! Thank you and Volker for clearing up the species identification problem! Dilleo's T looks like a Aureopilosum to me also. I purchased a (H.MINAX)? From a dealer located in California, it too is a Aureopilosum! Obviously most have been wrongly described. What differences have you observed between the two in habits , environment? Does this mean I need to change my name!!........By the way , my mother is from Kassel; We still communicate with our relatives there. Thank you for the great information!

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Thanks Again!

H. Minax is a good t of the haplopelma species, but if you really want a gem, get an H. Lividium. Females are blue while males hardly even are.

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H. minax

Hey everybody, thanks for helping out. But I can't find any orange hairs on her anywhere that I find on almost all female aureopilosum around the carapace. I will try to post pics of mine soon, but you guys are probably right, it's probably a "minax" aureopilosum.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Halpopelma is one Genus that really interests me, and in the future, I'm sure i'll get a few (just as soon as I get used to more defensive T's, and finish the vivarium I am building) I do have one question on coloring, though I know the species taxonomy in Halpopelma is still kinda confusing.

In the Tarantula Keepers guide (schultz n schultz) they show a pic of a Halpopelma minax, that is solid grey in color. Also, on Phong's great but very unupdated T site, he shows a pair of H. lividium mating, and the male is also almost totally grey, in comparison to the female. Is this a color change that occurs after ultimate molt in males, or are they like that in all their lives, in the genus Halpopelma?

Bill (who digs the grey almost as much as the blue)

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

as I've showed in another Thread about this topic, the coloration can be a hint, but is not relevant for a corrrect identification. Such an identification should lean upon stable and useful taxonomic characters, like the structure of the stridulating organ, the genital morphology, No. of Spines and so on.!
So,if you possess a Haplopelma minax or a Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" this can only be said after the examination of the above mentioned characters from a dead specimen or from an Exuviae!

Cheers, Volker

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
minax

Well, I guess I'll have to wait for the molt to see if that can help out. Maybe some day I can ask it, that'll clear a lot of things up.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL

Actually Albino get a Ruby for a real gem!!!!
LOL couldnt resist to say that