H. Maculata

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is short and sweet, but H. Maculata are insane when it comes to tackling prey.

I got an H. Maculata in today and usually I wait a few days before attempting to feed but he settled in to his new home so quickly that I decided to attempt it.

I tossed in a cricket and the H. Mac. which is about 3 inches, a little less, hit that cricket so hard and so fast. I've seen that before, but the remainder of the fight was what dropped my jaw.

The H. Mac proceeded to turn in to the Tasmania devil and roll around for about 3 seconds in a blur of motion, spinning, twist, rolling, and then proceeded to lift the cricket up in the air and slam it on to the substrate and then came to a rest.

I've /never/ seen a T. take down a cricket that hard, that fast, and in such a frenzy. I've seen them pounce across the enclosure and make a thump noise when they hit the cricket, but never roll around in a ball for more than a split second. This was crazy.

I wish I had it on camera and next time I feed him I will but I'm definitely liking the H. Mac.

This brings my total of Ts to 25 but I am thinking I may be getting me some more of these guys in the near future.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can never go wrong with an African T. ;)

Wise choice.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Most are aggressive eaters :) Well yet another african to add to my list :D

cityzooguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome T

H. mac are one of my favorites, mine used to hang out on a big piece of corkbark all the time, she camoflauged right in.
they are fast, aggressive, (never gave me a threat display though...) and just plain beautiful.:D
Easily one of the best in the hobby!!

Sonya

Arachnopeon
I think H. maculata is the most gorgeous tarantula in the hobby. I have two slings and cannot wait them growing. Actually right now they have very different tempers. Bigger one is quite shy and peaceful (for H.mac). The another one is everything and a little bit more what can be expected from mac :)

cdjseahawk

Arachnopeon
H. Mac

yup they are really pretty but mines would make a web so think i could never see her.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When you hold them, they have a tendency to enjoy jumping. But, it is cute in that they squat low on the front legs and stick their abdomen in the air while wiggling their spinnerets. They look like a cat!

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wait, some people actually see their H.macs? :clap:

I'm lucky to see mine once every couple of months, gorgeous when it comes out!

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well mine has decided to be a Sicarius Hahni. It has buried itself under the first layer or two of substrate with its feet sticking out just a little bit...as soon as a cricket comes near it suddenly disappears and I see no sign of the cricket OR the H. Mac.

I will definitely be picking up some more African Ts.

I also got a Chilobrachys Andersoni which has started to make him a nice tube web along side his enclosure and goes down in to a small pit he dug out.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will definitely be picking up some more African Ts.
Check out Ceratogyrus sp. I got my first one recently & it's awesome. A lovely olive-gold coloration, always hungry also! Plus the horn is pretty cool :D

Blurboy

Arachnopeon
That's one lovely spider and one I would add to my "wanting list if only I had more room" list :rolleyes:

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It never ends...now I want more Ts. Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you to feed my habit :)

Shaka

Arachnopeon
How to train your H.Mac

One might call this T Training... My H.Mac came into my home at about 4 inches, and already had a piece of driftwood with a nifty hole straight through the centre end to end, so I would NEVER see it. After an adrenaline packed re-decoration of the enclosure, I replaced the "holy" wood, with a nice big solid piece of driftwood with lots of crevices and caves, but from any side of the enclosure, the T was visible but could still hide.

Within a month, the T had adapted and created a den that started in the corner of the tank using the bottom end of the driftwood and webbed all the way to the ceiling, using the driftwood as a sort of "spotting" platform for prey. I now see her quite often and she even basks in the open during the day.

She's very beautiful, very shy, very fast, and DESTROYS prey, however has never been aggressive towards me during cleaning, re-housing etc. Still, I would NEVER attempt to handle her, I simply cannot bear the thought of being envenomed by a 4.5inch H.Mac.

I saw RobC get nailed by those P.Regalis, and can only imagine it would be something similar...

African T's rock!

Shaka

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One might call this T Training... My H.Mac came into my home at about 4 inches, and already had a piece of driftwood with a nifty hole straight through the centre end to end, so I would NEVER see it. After an adrenaline packed re-decoration of the enclosure, I replaced the "holy" wood, with a nice big solid piece of driftwood with lots of crevices and caves, but from any side of the enclosure, the T was visible but could still hide.

Within a month, the T had adapted and created a den that started in the corner of the tank using the bottom end of the driftwood and webbed all the way to the ceiling, using the driftwood as a sort of "spotting" platform for prey. I now see her quite often and she even basks in the open during the day.

She's very beautiful, very shy, very fast, and DESTROYS prey, however has never been aggressive towards me during cleaning, re-housing etc. Still, I would NEVER attempt to handle her, I simply cannot bear the thought of being envenomed by a 4.5inch H.Mac.

I saw RobC get nailed by those P.Regalis, and can only imagine it would be something similar...

African T's rock!

Shaka
That's pretty cool. Do you have any pictures you could share with us?

I'd love to see the setup.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am still a little weary about getting a H mac. I want one though...they are beautiful. I guess maybe I'll have to jump on the wagon as I have 3 pokies now...

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They aren't any worse than pokies, more shy though....
Yeah this is the first T I've owned that hides when the lights come on. He is out on display, lights come on, and he goes down to the bottom and buries himself in substrate.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah this is the first T I've owned that hides when the lights come on. He is out on display, lights come on, and he goes down to the bottom and buries himself in substrate.
That is how mine is, I have to get up in the middle of the night with a flashlight and make it quick before he disappears. I was so happy I finally got a picture of him a week or so ago. Or her...It.....whatever he/she is beautiful. LOL. But yeah, rarely out in the open.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's one of the other reasons I haven't gotten one yet...I get angry at my pet holes. ;) Not really angry...but I have a P irminia female in a 10G tank, very nicely set up, and I haven't seen her clearly since the day I rehoused her! I have to admit though, H macs are beautiful! My wife even wanted one lately after seeing a pic.