H. maculata or P. murinus?

cabey

Arachnopeon
Wanting to get one or the other as my first Old World T. Bear in mind that I'm well aware of the aggression and speed of both species. Just want to hear which one is everyone's favorite. Thanks!

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, in my case I prefer terrestrial than arboreal sp. so I would recommend the P murinus, besides that it has a beautiful color and it is a petite bête, small with big attitude.. {D

cabey

Arachnopeon
All of the Africans seem very intriguing to me too. I got into this hobby less than a year ago (after being into reptiles for many years with the occasional scorpion and one curly hair T. thrown in here and there) and I'm completely smitten. I catch myself just watching cages sometimes in a daze. I'm REALLY looking forward to my first OW.

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ive kept both and prefer the P.murinus.

It has beautiful color and webs a lot. The H. maculata is also beautiful though.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why not go for both and if you're lucky a dealer might hook you up with a juvie or sling OBT if you get an H mac as OBTs aren't expensive at all in sling, juvie and even adult forms.

cabey

Arachnopeon
I'd love both (as we all would) but if you had to choose, which one would you pick? I know that P. murinus has got to be someone's favorite, and I know that H. maculata has got to be someone else's. Fill me in as to why. I've got some slings on the way and I promised my girlfriend only one more T and I'm done for now (no, really :)).

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. murinus

i vote for P. murinus. i have 5 of them; 2 MF, 1 MM & 2 Juvies. Each one is completely different from the other. My MM is definitely the toughest T i have had to date - even much more so than my other OBT's. They have really nice color and i think are neat to watch. They web a lot but i still see mine often. The attack their prey with a vengence. My MM has some serious attitude. i can't touch his KK without a nice threat display. When i unpacked him, he ran up my bath tub wall and attacked the wall :eek: when i put a tupperwear over him. i just think they are incredibly awesome even if they are common and inexpensive.

Just look at these pics by Randy May and tell me these T's aren't impressive! :eek:

http://www.savagedigital.com/Pics/Pmurinus3.jpg
http://www.savagedigital.com/Pics/Pmurinus5.jpg

Let us know what you choose!!

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
um, i like h. maculata better, as i think they are one of the most gorgeous ts out there. however ist is likely that you will see the murinus more often...

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Two completly different species ... wich one is the best, impossible to say it all depend of you.

Keep it mind you will see very not often each species, but I would see H. maculata is a little more shy, but not that much.

H maculata is, in my opinion, a lot less defensive, will most likely run in its retreat and dont give any complication. With a good environnement, its gonna be mostly the same with the Pterinochilus murinus, whatever the reputation people like to give them.

Two species found in two completly different habitat, one is Fossorial / terrestial, the other one is arboreal (duh).

Heteroscodra maculata is found in the West Africa, probably from Sierra Leone, to Cameroon. This is on the coast, where humidity is high and rain are frequent in most month of the year, except from november to marsh.

Pterinochilus murinus are found ... in most central and east africa, I think Pterinochilus murinus has some of the largest distribution in the world! Centra Africa offer a dry climate but also some rain season where its very wet and humid ''hmmm wet and humid, lol''. This said, I keep mine semi-dry, not bone dry, not humid, semi humid ;) Plus, I offer some rain season, from november to april or so where I mist more often.

People think that because its Africa you got to keep them bone dry but this is ridiculous.

The venom of each species is quite similar, try to avoid getting bitten is a good thing of course.

Hope it clear your idea a little, here's some picture of the subject

Its environnement

Heteroscodra maculata

Heummm darn, wrong picture! This is a Heteroscodra maculata

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maculata.. all the way!

Ive got a maculata sac.. once it hatches if you buy a $10 sling, Ill give you an OBT sling for free.

Last edited:

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had both... I think I liked the P. murinus better. The maculata's speed and jumping ability were a bit unnerving, for me anyway. I liked the vividness and attitude of the murinus better.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have both, and I like both a lot. But if you're asking for your first Old World T, I would recommend you a P. murinus.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I totally agree with After, this said, I am more carefull with Stromatopelma species who are, in my opinion, a lot more unpredictable, and would'nt necessary recommend it as first OW species.

Plus, my Stromatopelma c. calceatum, after my Hysterocrates sp., are my most shy species, wich mean I never ever see them. Heteroscodra maculata still show themself from ... time ... to ... time ...

I got 2 gravid Stromatopelma c. calceatum female actually and im quite excited about the result it will gives.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
befor i got my H mack slings i would have said obt but...i say get both i got 13 obt's ranging for sling to adult and 2 pairs coinhabiting they are by far one of the most intresting to deal with :rolleyes: and its so neat to watch how the males and females interact good all around fun T.:clap:

i have 7 H maculata slings that just molted a week or so ago and just had their first meals and they are the cutest lil things. i had one excape while trying to remove left over food. it was kinda funny it launched out of its vile through the air onto my chest and straight in throught the neck of my shirt,
had a hell of a time getting my shirt off and finding it. but just seeing it glide through the air was something else ive had a few adults and juvs do that but never seen a tiny sling fly so far cant wait till they get bigger. imho they are in the top 5 for looks thats reason enough to get one :D

Tim St.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I totally agree with After, this said, I am more carefull with Stromatopelma species who are, in my opinion, a lot more unpredictable, and would'nt necessary recommend it as first OW species.

Plus, my Stromatopelma c. calceatum, after my Hysterocrates sp., are my most shy species, wich mean I never ever see them. Heteroscodra maculata still show themself from ... time ... to ... time ...

I got 2 gravid Stromatopelma c. calceatum female actually and im quite excited about the result it will gives.
Good to hear :clap:

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
have you considered the horned babboon family? i have a C. bech. that is my first old world T. i predug a burrow next to the glass and i get to see her all the time.

Last edited:

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would go H. maculata if you're only sticking to those 2 choices, but for an off the wall choice I say E. pachypus.