H. lividum wet/dragging back legs Ideas? (Pics inside)

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I am at work, and my wife was at home checking on some of the tarantula and came across my H. lividum female looking strange. She appears to be wet and she says she is dragging her back legs. Now this T is due a molt (has been for a while) her tank is quiet humid and warm, but she hasn't eaten in a while (pre-molt after enclosure move). Anything I (or my wife since I am at work) can do for her other than wait and see?

Notice the wetness on the side of the opisthosoma and on the femur.

Added by edit, the side of the opisthosoma also looks strange/bulged...hard to tell by pic though.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you post pictures from other angles; also when was its last moult?

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

My wife took these, and it is all I have right now. Not sure of the exact date of the previous molt but I purchased her late last year (not long after a molt) and she hasn't molted in my care. So right at a year.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It kinda looks like she's popped the carapace.. Or that and the opi have been ripped in some way.. Could she have started her molt, been startled by something and decided to abort?

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It kinda looks like she's popped the carapace.. Or that and the opi have been ripped in some way.. Could she have started her molt, been startled by something and decided to abort?
Not likely, but a possibility I suppose. T's are in their own room on shelves (no disturbances), and my wife found her sitting upright out of her burrow.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Pic from some months ago, carapace doesn't look too different too me (other than wetness).

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not likely, but a possibility I suppose. T's are in their own room on shelves (no disturbances), and my wife found her sitting upright out of her burrow.
It could have been an outside disturbance.. Not saying YOU or your wife did anything, but just as an example, when the garbage truck comes around here ,the entire building shakes, and my spiders go wild.

And in the recent pics, the carapace seems alot more raised in the back, near the opi. It just looks like a beginning molt to me..

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It could have been an outside disturbance.. Not saying YOU or your wife did anything, but just as an example, when the garbage truck comes around here ,the entire building shakes, and my spiders go wild.
I understand that, but we live in the middle of nowhere (lol) so basically we are at the end of a 1/2 mile driveway off a 1 lane road. I can't imagine anything that could've caused a disturbance (again, not beyond the realm of possibility, I just can't think of anything.)

Added by Edit:

I agree that it does look like that somewhat, but my wife doesn't think she is molting (from being there and seeing her).

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe a tree fell down then =p

I honestly don't know, but as I said, it looks a bit like a beginning/interrupted molt, or some sort of injury.. Kinda looks like a failed attempt of chopping her in half.. If you understand what I mean.. I apologize for my horrid explenations =p

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks as if the abdomen is pulled from the carapace based on the original and you earlier photo. I believe Doug here on these forums has had or has a very similar thread and image of a T he has.

You can see either the heart or gutline exposed in that crevice between the carapace and abdomen.

http://brettmacquarrie.tripod.com/tarantulaanatomy/anatomy1.gif

Last edited:

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely looks like injury, rupture, emolymph (blood) is leaking out
some cases if spider makes to following molt and molted out damaged exo
other when more severe damage usually fatal

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I got home and to everyone's relief she's molting (upright, but molting) thanks everyone.

The weird thing was her moving around dragging her legs and the wetness, but again it all seems fine now.

Last edited:

k2power

Arachnoknight
Keep posting about the outcome. It is useful and comforting for those in similar situations.