H. leucocephalus: Not pets so much as neigbors. Awesome neighbors.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I've been house-sitting at my father's place while he's in Florida this winter (so jealous). The house fronts on the upper Miles River on the eastern shore of MD. It's been pretty cold but I've enjoyed watching these uppity, know-it-all neighbors of his who push everybody else around and act like they own the place. In their defense, I suppose they were there before any of the new houses got built so... we have learned to get along.

These are the best photo ops they've given me in a while. I've had some pretty amazing bird watching events too, watching them catch fish and do battle with a Red Tailed Hawk for turf were both pretty cool.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks. I just about froze my tuckus off waiting for the 2nd one to take flight so I could get that last picture but it was totally worth it.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice photo. My dad is an avid turkey hunter, and once a bald eagle ate a good portion of his turkey before he managed to get to the bird. He wasn't even angry or anything, kinda felt like he'd shared it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Jebbe, I had a similar conversation with a friend just last weekend. He shot a Teal (sea duck) and it had barely hit the water when an eagle swooped in and took it, carried it up to a tree-top across the river and started to eat it right in front of him. I suppose it didn't matter so much, nobody eats Teals anyway, they taste like salt.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
They are beautiful!!! Nice photography too! Thanks for posting!!! Any more??