H. Incei question.

hermzxd45

Arachnopeon
hey guys was wondering if the H. Incei is a terrestrial or arboreal? Are these guys really defensive? And whats the size of a fully grown specimen get to? I would love to see some pics if you guys have them. Thanks alot... Herm

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think they're terrestrial and opportunistic burrowers because every photo I've seen has them burrowed or wedged in to some little crack in the cork bark.

I don't own any yet, but I'm looking in to a semi-communal/close living quarters experiment with H. inci. (*hint* *hint*; any Canadians with a bunch to sell?)

Last edited:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
definitely not arboreal . . . . mine are still little (about an inch and a half), but I'm told that the females get to around four inches and the males are usually half of that. FANTASTIC webbers! Mine don't seem very defensive, but they sure are quick little buggers. Gorgeous little things imo - - I just got some great pictures of mine last night finally. I'll try to post when I get home.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think they're terrestrial and opportunistic burrowers because every photo I've seen has them burrowed or wedged in to some little crack in the cork bark.

I don't own any yet, but I'm looking in to a semi-communal/close living quarters experiment with H. inci. (*hint* *hint*; any Canadians with a bunch to sell?)
What do you mean by semi-communal/close living? And why would it be an experiment?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What do you mean by semi-communal/close living? And why would it be an experiment?
Well I'd call it a communal set up, but people tend to say something to the effect of "that is not communal that is just several spiders living in close quarters"

It would be an experiment because I intend to get approximately two dozen slings hopefully from the the same brood and raise them together in a 1 or 2.5 gallon tank after a few instars in a smaller container and keep meticulous notes regarding numbers, molts, food consumption, humidity, growth rate, cannibalism, proximity to one and other etc.

This would be the first of several species i would like to try this with in order to gauge the tolerance of various species over time.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh okay, well just to tell you, H. incei are communal and there are many threads about raising them and such.

Good luck

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh okay, well just to tell you, H. incei are communal and there are many threads about raising them and such.

Good luck
Thanks, and yes I've seen lots of those set ups, which is where I'm pulling that line about others saying they're not communal but living close together, those setups are also often 5-10 Ts, I'm looking at substantially more Ts in closer proximity.

But I plan on doing other species which are of the less defensive variety and commonly accepted as being non-communal or unable to suppress the cannibalistic instincts.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks, and yes I've seen lots of those set ups, which is where I'm pulling that line about others saying they're not communal but living close together, those setups are also often 5-10 Ts, I'm looking at substantially more Ts in closer proximity.

But I plan on doing other species which are of the less defensive variety and commonly accepted as being non-communal or unable to suppress the cannibalistic instincts.
I just got 25 males from another ab member...

Let me tell you i dont have them in fancy or big set up ... 12"x12"x12"
and i havent seen one become a prey or fight one another.....
They even huddle up together to keep warm!!!!

Peace!!!

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When you have a communal I find you'll often see them exploring for a while and up near the top of the enclosure. From personal experience they always seem to end up in a burrow with massive webbing after they settle in however.
I've seen them make tunnel webs up near the tops of their enclosures though. Burrowing seems to be the much more common result.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
hey guys was wondering if the H. Incei is a terrestrial or arboreal? Are these guys really defensive? And whats the size of a fully grown specimen get to? I would love to see some pics if you guys have them. Thanks alot... Herm
Not arboreal, mine has an elaborate tunnel system going, as well as the rest of it's enclosure webbed right up. Not defensive but very fast, and I find mine is prone to run at the slightest movement. Beautiful little spiders, mine is definately one of the favorites in my collection. :) You can't go wrong with one imo. I wish I had some good pics to share, but mine is either in it's tunnels or just a blur darting around it's enclosure.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My inceis are speed demons, and webbing machines. Love 'em. But while I think the olive is beautiful, this girl is gorgeous:

Attachments

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Here's the pictures that I finally managed to get two nights ago - - hope you enjoy!

Here's the way I usually see them:

But they're gorgeous when they make appearances:

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got 25 males from another ab member...

Let me tell you i dont have them in fancy or big set up ... 12"x12"x12"
and i havent seen one become a prey or fight one another.....
They even huddle up together to keep warm!!!!

Peace!!!

You only got 3/4 of the males. Haha.

But yes they did bundle up when I had the males in a separate tank. Now that they are gone out of the main tank I now can see all the young and adult females in the big tank. It's a colony of 100+.

I have stopped using the term communal, now I'm using social or coexistence projects. Communal would suggest higher levels of social interaction such as grooming other individuals or taking care of the young of another female. H.incei will share food and burrows at various stages of life, but just as with all other social arachnids (even the most communal by definition) bouts of aggression will lead to cannibalism.