H. hottentotta on its back

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i did a couple searches on this to see if i could find anything out, and i couldn't.. so now i'm posting about it. my H. hottentotta was laying on its side earlier and i left it alone to see if anything changed, now its completely flat on its back and all its legs are moving. would you think its dying? i would want to put it out of its misery if that is the case, i'm just not sure what is going on

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Edie,

I've experienced this with one of my H. hottentotta. It happened when I prodded her and she rolled on to her side. She stayed like that for a bit, I then gently rolled her on to her back and she stayed there for about 20 seconds before flipping back over and running for her hide. Here are some pics.

So I would suggest gently flipping her over.

Cheers.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Playing dead is a common defense mechanism in H. hottentotta

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, gigus is right. This is called catalepsy and babycurus, odonturus are known to do this.....

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've seen it happen before but this time it was really weird.
its definitely dead

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bad molt? How was humidity/temp. I've also heard Hottentottas need to offered water heavily.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm not sure, i didn't think it was full grown

How big was it? My adults are 7-8cm(Roughly 2.75-3"), but if its smaller say around 2.5" it also could of been a smaller sized adult.

Cheers.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
maybe it was full grown then.
the temp. in my room has been about 78 in the day and 73 at night and i kept a water dish in the cage