H. himalayana or Bumba cabocla as a 5th tarantula?

Haplocosmia himalayana or Bumba cabocla?

• Total voters

Minty

@londontarantulas
Bumba cabocla pros: It sounds like a Star Wars character, and you can say it in a silly Star Wars like voice. It looks cool.

Bumba cabocla cons: It's a dwarf, therefore, as @Chris LXXIX says, "dwarf Theraphosidae are a nonsense".

Haplocosmia himalayana pros: It looks cool. It sounds like a star cluster. You can also say it in a silly Star Wars voice.

Haplocosmia himalayana cons: None that I can see.

Being serious, I'd choose to get the Haplocosmia himalayana, but if you like dwarf tarantulas, then Bumba cabocla would be a good choice.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Thank you all who have replied so far! I have been torn between the two species as while I really, really love dwarf species, I have heard that H. himalayana is relatively temperate compared to other Old World species. Also, both are very pretty to me. Either way, I have many months to decide.
I can't say about Bc because I don't own one, so I picked Hh - They are one of the most laid back OW's I own, neither threat displaying or bolting. I'm a sucker for T's with two-toned coloration also. I will say mine has been on a fast for several months in a closed up burrow, but this might be due to over feeding (I've recently cut back to feeding my adult/sub-adult inverts to once a week rather than 3 times every two weeks - too many fat T's!)

u bada

Arachnopeon
Been wanting a himalayana myself so interesting to hear other's thoughts here. I tend to like richer colors so have been undecided on the himalayana, I'm curious how the colors/ tone contrasts look in person...

But I do have a b. cabocla and love the little one. People say dwarf (I prefer smaller species myself) but all my research points towards 4 to 5" dls mature. Got mine as 3/4" sling maybe year and a half ago, and is only about 1.5", maybe 2. Probably would grow faster if I kept temperatures higher, ain't gonna happen... I've long enjoyed the rich carapace color against the black everything else and the true spider appearance. I also like how it's always active building a burrow or something. I can always see it in it's burrow the way enclosure is set up but it comes out and meanders a fair amount too. Good eater, too. it's not the showstopper, the most ferocious, or most interesting in behaviour, but just a pleasant little one that makes me smile. Happy to have in my little collection.

Minty

@londontarantulas
EXCUSE ME *slams fist on table* EXCUSE ME SIR! THIS LANGUAGE IS UNACCEPTABLE AND I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL
Disclaimer: I have only kept one dwarf species (Hapalopus triseriatus) and while I like the look of it, it is the species that has given me least enjoyment. Even having seen the much hyped Typhoclaena seladonia in person, it did nothing for me. I think the Bumba cabocla is a cool looking tarantula, but I dare you to say “dwarf tarantulas are a nonsense” in a Lombardy accent and not smile.

:)

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
lol

In any case, I love dwarf species so far, personally. I love having spiders that do fine double stacked in an Ikea Kallax shelf and look great in a clear plastic shoebox or amac box from the Container Store, and will never need more than that.

That being said, the only time I’ve seen my Bumba cabocla sling since I got it a month and a half ago was when I rehoused it into a smaller enclosure two weeks back because the sling enclosure that came with it from Fear Not was too big. It promptly burrowed, sealed itself up, and I haven’t seen it since.

That OW is absolutely gorgeous. I personally would not feel ready for it yet as a keeper, but it sounds like you are ready to take the plunge. The Bumba cabocla, on the other hand, is cheap and easy.

I would, in this instance, suggest just getting both, tbh.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Where are people getting the B. Cabocla is a dwarf species?

When I did my research on them, I never saw anything of the sorts and still have yet to find anything other than people saying it here. They are said to reach up to 5”. They are just slow growers. I would compare them to Brachypelma species as far as size, temperament, and husbandry requirements.

To the OP as I’ve said before, just get both and satisfy your desire for both. Then you will have an even 6 spiders! You won’t have the what if, plus if you are buying online, then you will save on shipping in the long run.

I honestly think people hype up OW species. Yes they are faster, and have more potent venom. Yes, there are the OWs that are definitely advanced, and super aggressive. However, there are far less on that side from what I’ve seen in my personal research. As you know some NWs can be absolute A holes as well, and to add to it, will kick hairs. OWs don’t have that ability (and a few NWs). If you give them proper setup, and respect each of them like you do with any other T, you will be fine. My two OWs (have only had them for very little time) are the biggest sissies compared to some of my NW slings...could that change? absolutely, but it doesn’t change my husbandry and respect for all of my Ts. If anything they go hide, and have yet to bolt or freak out, YET, however NWs can and will as well. When feeding if they were out they stayed out when I cracked enclosure. My NWs quite different, they ran and hid. My D. Diamantinensis (NW) is an absolute freak and is ridiculously fast.

It’s been quite the opposite where when housing the OWs, I literally had to force them to move. They have yet to threat and honestly I’d be surprised if they did. Again I only have two; H. Pulchripe, & M. Balfouri, and they are said to be “beginner OWs.” Again any OW or NW can show threat posture, and be A-holes. Most OWs are much faster than the average NW if they want to be, and their venom being stronger. Other than that they are like any other T. There are exceptions as I mentioned above.

Long story short, you will be fine with the OW and that IMO and in my very short personal experience actually keeping Ts, they are hyped up a lot (except for a few of them that definitely are crazy and advanced). Have proper setups for them, respect them like any other T and you will be fine. Just my two cents.

To those that have kept H. Himalayana, what are their true colors in person? I’m not all for much brown and tan...just not really my thing. Needs to have some color for me. Are they out in open often or do they do the fossorial thing; burrow and are rarely seen?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
To those that have kept H. Himalayana, what are their true colors in person? I’m not all for much brown and tan...just not really my thing. Needs to have some color for me. Are they out in open often or do they do the fossorial thing; burrow and are rarely seen?
More of a slick black, with cream color knees. Mines is not a pet hole, but similar to M. balfouri in terms of webbing and being pet webs. But I see my H. himalayana more than my 3 M. balfouri's all together. They are somewhat fossorial, but are more out in the view than M. balfouri.

@docwade87 , I don't know what to say about you, but you're weird. If you hate pet holes or burrowing T.'s. You basically hate all OW terrestrials. :vomit:
Let alone, being pushed by looks and colors as factors is just wrong. A majority of OW terrestrials don't have much color, yet it is a joy to keep them. You're going to miss a majority of the OW terrestrial species. BTW, almost all OW terrrestrials are opportunistic/obligate burrowers, Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

docwade87

Arachnoknight
More of a slick black, with cream color knees. Mines is not a pet hole, but similar to M. balfouri in terms of webbing and being pet webs. But I see my H. himalayana more than my 3 M. balfouri's all together. They are somewhat fossorial, but are more out in the view than M. balfouri.

@docwade87 , I don't know what to say about you, but you're weird. If you hate pet holes or burrowing T.'s. You basically hate all OW terrestrials. :vomit:
Let alone, being pushed by looks and colors as factors is just wrong. A majority of OW terrestrials don't have much color, yet it is a joy to keep them. You're going to miss a majority of the OW terrestrial species. BTW, almost all OW terrrestrials are opportunistic/obligate burrowers, Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:
Where did I say hate pet holes?? I am not worried about burrowers. Practically every terrestrial NW or OW burrows at the very least. I currently have more terrestrial than arboreal, and it’s for a reason. I currently am not attracted to fossorial species who stay hidden 90% of the time. Every species has their ones “who don’t follow the book” per say and do quite opposite of what they typically do. There are PLENTY of OWs that have amazing colors other than brown. Maybe one will grow on me in the future. For a keeper that won’t have hundreds of various species, I have to be selective and make sure I get what I like, not you, not anyone else, but me...what I like. I decide that based off of tons of research, color, tendencies, husbandry requirements etc and then base it off of my overall experience and comfort level.

How does that make me weird? My own likes and desires are for me, not for you. Maybe you are weird for calling me weird? :wideyed::stop:

Last edited: