H. himalayana or Bumba cabocla as a 5th tarantula?

Haplocosmia himalayana or Bumba cabocla?

• Total voters

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Should I get a Haplocosmia himalayana or a Bumba cabocla as a fifth tarantula? I have had a Brachypelma hamorii for 5 years, a Brachypelma albopilosum since the beginning of last September, a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens since early last October and a Caribena versicolor since late January to early February of this year. I have all bottom them as slings, with the versicolor being the largest at nearly an inch. I am planning to get the fifth tarantula by July to August as that is when I move in with my partner. Which of the two do you believe would be more suited towards me?

docwade87

Arachnoknight
B. Cabocla! I don’t have any experience with the other. Just know they are slow growers. However they aren’t very popular and very underrated. Mine is a voracious eater so far. Seem to be very similar to Brachypelma sp. as far as husbandry, and size. They are said to be very docile as well. To boot, they are stunning, plus they have more of a true spider leg structure!

Or just get both!!

A pic of my little one. Will surely be getting a few more of them...

Last edited:

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I say B. cabocla. They are gorgeous and underrated. They do look a lot more like true spiders than other tarantula species; I don't know if that's something you like or dislike.

My inexperienced opinion on the other is that the tarantulas you have would not prepare you for an OW.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
H. himalayana for my pick, they're more underated than B. cabocla (no offense) here on the boards. I love both, but the H. himalayana is my pick, great webber, eater, and great looking overall. Can't change my mind, it's basically the better version of M. balfouri. B. cabocla is cool, but I see them way more compared to H. himalayana :rolleyes:.

A pic for reference freshly molted and premolt. :smug:;)
View media item 57406

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I’d say to also add a G. pulchra to your list because they are adorable and have such lovely personalities!

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I say B. cabocla. They are gorgeous and underrated. They do look a lot more like true spiders than other tarantula species; I don't know if that's something you like or dislike.

My inexperienced opinion on the other is that the tarantulas you have would not prepare you for an OW.
Yeah I'd say B. cabocla too, but then again I just know a little more about them than H. himalayana.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
H. himalayana for my pick, they're more underated than B. cabocla (no offense) here on the boards. I love both, but the H. himalayana is my pick, great webber, eater, and great looking overall. Can't change my mind, it's basically the better version of M. balfouri. B. cabocla is cool, but I see them way more compared to H. himalayana :rolleyes:.

A pic for reference freshly molted and premolt. :smug:;)
View media item 57406
Better version of m. Balfouri?!?! I’m gonna have to disagree with that on the appearance side. Only have one balfouri juvenile currently, but the looks don’t compare IMO. However now you got me lookin at them...

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Better version of m. Balfouri?!?! I’m gonna have to disagree with that on the appearance side. Only have one balfouri juvenile currently, but the looks don’t compare IMO. However now you got me lookin at them...
H. himalyana isn't communal like the M. balfouri, so M. balfouri has that advantage. However, these guys are great webbers for certain and they have super great feeding responses compared to M. balfouri. I have 3 M. balfouri's and if people wanna come at me, i'm ready to compare the two :cool:. But yes, H. himalyana is great all around. Mines is as calm as a brick on the ground :bored:, except when I feed it, because it then becomes a feeding machine.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Thank you all who have replied so far! I have been torn between the two species as while I really, really love dwarf species, I have heard that H. himalayana is relatively temperate compared to other Old World species. Also, both are very pretty to me. Either way, I have many months to decide.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Thank you all who have replied so far! I have been torn between the two species as while I really, really love dwarf species, I have heard that H. himalayana is relatively temperate compared to other Old World species. Also, both are very pretty to me. Either way, I have many months to decide.
Just get both! They both obviously are great species and it seems as if you’ve been doing your homework. Make it an even 6 Ts that you have and then you won’t have the “what if?”

H. himalyana isn't communal like the M. balfouri, so M. balfouri has that advantage. However, these guys are great webbers for certain and they have super great feeding responses compared to M. balfouri. I have 3 M. balfouri's and if people wanna come at me, i'm ready to compare the two :cool:. But yes, H. himalyana is great all around. Mines is as calm as a brick on the ground :bored:, except when I feed it, because it then becomes a feeding machine.
Don’t tell me this. I’m supposed to be good for a little while and not expand the collection....;):p

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Just a tad note here from my experience and two cents. H. himalyana sometimes hiss when they attack feeders, it isn't loud, but noticeable. In comparison, it sounds like a toned down hissing roach... It could just be that mines is like this, who knows? But the sounds mines make is pleasant to hear, because it tells me that it caught its prey when I can't see it in it's web castle sometimes.
IMG_0453.JPG

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Just a tad note here from my experience and two cents. H. himalyana sometimes hiss when they attack feeders, it isn't loud, but noticeable. In comparison, it sounds like a toned down hissing roach... It could just be that mines is like this, who knows? But the sounds mines make is pleasant to hear, because it tells me that it caught its prey when I can't see it in it's web castle sometimes.
View attachment 304406
Well I'm deaf so that might be a problem for me.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
View attachment 304406
Ok, ok...you had me from the start...now this ..added bonus noises

@The Seraph you have now made me want the one I don’t have by starting this thread. This forum is amazing and cruel all at the same time..haha

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have both, like both, but H. himalyana better. You can’t compare two totally different looks, so that’s moot. However, the hands down all-rounder is the HH, it burrows, it webs, it stays on the surface regularly, and not near as skittish as my BC.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I have both, like both, but H. himalyana better. You can’t compare two totally different looks, so that’s moot. However, the hands down all-rounder is the HH, it burrows, it webs, it stays on the surface regularly, and not near as skittish as my BC.
Just a question, does yours make a silent hissing sound when feeding it sometimes?? Mines make some low hissing sounds sometimes and I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior or if mines is just like this?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Just a question, does yours make a silent hissing sound when feeding it sometimes?? Mines make some low hissing sounds sometimes and I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior or if mines is just like this?
I always feed mine when it is in the burrow, and it just violently pulls the unfortunate victim into the depths. No hissing, no screaming.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
What if I say neither, and then give you third option.

• Cyriocosmus elegans

A895B8FB-86A8-4648-8E49-B604521433E5.jpeg

However, if I MUST choose between the two, then I would say Bumba cabocla, only because I never had any experiences with the other one. :angelic: