H. Gigas

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am getting one this weekend, how do you guys keeo yours.
Do they like it dry or humid?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Humid. Definitely humid. These T's have been known to dive for fish if my memory isn't deceiving me. Hysterocrates is one of the genus that like it real humid.

Scott

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello and I have a H.Gigas and they definately love moisture. Mine has a cereal bowl for her water bowl plus her cage is almost kept muddy. She loves it plus they are big burrowers and they don't come out much at all. She just molted a couple of weeks ago and I have yet a chance to measure her. She was 6" when I got her so hopefully she is about 7". They are really pretty though.
Becky:D

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks

Thanks for the info,Im thinking about setting the cage up with a mini pond where I can leave a couple of goldfish and maybe my H.Gigas can sdo some diving for me LOL

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I borrowed CM's suggestion for putting water saver crystals in the soil for my H. gigas sub-adult. So far it's been working really well. They definitely like their humidity.

Give your spider a deep substrate, too, they're amazing tunnel builders. Mine has no less than six different tunnels in its enclosure, all leading to a chamber on the bottom that you can see by lifting the enclosure.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you seen the jars of jelly-like substance sold as "Water Bites" for crickets? Well, you can also go to Home Depot and pick up a huge jug of them in dry form and add them to the substrate of your ts enclosure. They absorb huge amounts of water and slowly release it into the soil, keeping the enclosure humid.

The crystals have been mentioned on many threads here, but if you want to know more than I can tell you, send a private message to Code Monkey, he can tell you the brand name, etc.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cheapest place to get them: www.watersorb.com, even with shipping still cheaper than Home Depot or other suppliers.

EDIT: Happy now? I tell ya, try to help people and all you get is grief ;P

Last edited:

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
code monkey....no offense....but if you put a space after your URL then the link will work without having to copy/paste.......my browser thinks the comma is part of the URL = no go!!!

code monkey LOL!!!
i just figured someone out there might try clicking the link and think it was a bad URL not noticing the comma....again..no offense intended....

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alonso99,

I bought my H. gigas on 6-6-02, it was 1 1/4". Its molted twice and is now at least 4 1/2". I fed it pinky's at first and that may have led to its quick growth. I dont feed pink's anymore cause its impossible to clean up the bloody mess without distroying its burrow. I don't get to see it alot outside its burrow, but it did use the side of its tank for a wall, so with a flashlite I can check it out. I'd have to say, its the meanest T. I own. I call it B.A (badass ).
Your gonna love yours.

Ernie