H. gigas underwater and few others :)

Kropa83

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone! This is my firsth post here. Sorry if my english is not correct but I'm not a native speaker :8o anyway I decided to change a backgrount in my H.gigas terrarium. When I did it I get great idea. I remember myself that this spider can swim so I put in his terra a jar with water. When I let H.gigas in to the terrarium she did not start to dig like she usually do but she walked around and when she found jar she plunged under water. She was 35 minutes under water !! I was great chance to make interesting pictures.

enjoy :razz:

...H. gigas under ground :

P.murinus :

C.bechuanicus (adult male) :

A.geniculata ( pragnate ;) female :lol: ) :

my snake :

P.ornata, female :

at the and I recomend a movie with my animals. This is a shor sample of thier abilitis

http://rapidshare.com/files/34274134/hunters.avi

Doezsha

Arachnolord
Old Timer
first I would like to welcome you to the boards. Thats crazy your H.gigas was free diving. that reminder me of wen I was a kid catching wolf spiders in my back yard. After i cought the spiders I would put them in a 10 gallon tank with dirt and it had a small saucer in at as a water dish that was flush with the level of the soil, the wolf spiders would run around the tank and run right across the surface of the water. How cool is that...

Kropa83

Arachnopeon
I't wasn't accident. She didn't fall in to jar but she dived to get safe (that's my opinion)When she decided to surface it wasn't problem for her. Hysterocrates sp. lives near water (rivers), they can walk under water and swim well. Beside I think that she wanted to get under wather earlier because her water dish was again and again overturned

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Did the spider manage to climb out easy enough? my arboreals cannot grip on recently sprayed tank walls so I can't imagine climbing up a vertical surface underwater is too easy ?

Kropa83

Arachnopeon
Like I sad before it wasn't problem to get out to her, they use stronk back legs to make hmm I don't know how to say it english .... they use it like a frog do. Of course not in the same move but at the same rule (sory for my english :8o :) )

Skulnik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is incredible!! The H. Gigas has suddenly jumped to the top of my wish list.

Kropa83

Arachnopeon
In the near future I'm gonna share hers terrarium for water and ground parts. Maybe she will hunt for a smal fish :) When it will be done you will see on the movie :)

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Isn't H. Crassipes the one who's supposed to be the diver, and often mistaken for a H. Gigas?

In any case, awesome pics!

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt most of the Hysterocrates sp. are of a pure bred line,

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, very cool! i gotta try this with my female,very impressive:clap:

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:eek: :eek: wow who would've thought a tarantula could remain underwater for so long! amazing!

can they all do this without drowning or just this sp.?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think this is the only genus that deliberately swims under water, Avics are known to swim over water in order to escape predators.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:eek: :eek: wow who would've thought a tarantula could remain underwater for so long! amazing!

can they all do this without drowning or just this sp.?
taras are nothing like humans when it comes to breathing. they have passive breathing, which means they don't "take breaths" like me or a mouse does. further, they don't use their blood (hemolymph, actually) as the main mechanism for oxygen dispersal (like mammals etc) so they don't have to have a heart and all the circulatory system muscle constantly beating and taking up oxygen. also, you can see the spider has a suit of air on. they can probably draw oxygen from that.

i'm not actually sure if tarantulas *can* drown, actually. depends on definition, heh. ah, by the definition "to suffocate by immersion in water" they can, as suffocation only means to deprive of oxygen. i thought drowning might have something to do with getting water in lungs =P

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's actually a really interesting idea. When I get my H. gigas, instead of a waterdish, I'm going to create a portion of the terrarium that's submerged.

Genius :)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
very nice!there was a post on here a while back where someone built a tank that had an aquarium built in for there gigas.i think they wanted to see if it would hunt a gold fish lol.hystos seem to have some surprises under there sleeves.i didnt even know that they could be kept communaly until recently.
cool spiders

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very cool. ive seen alot about them swimming and such but never seen it. ive had a female for 3 years. shes molting at present but i think when shes done i may have to rethink her tank a little.

Water spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is the reason I have wanted to have H.gigas for some time now...

I want to have a swimming tarantula. But I am not sure I'm ready for Old world tarantulas yet.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the reason I have wanted to have H.gigas for some time now...

I want to have a swimming tarantula. But I am not sure I'm ready for Old world tarantulas yet.
Ive had mine for 3 years and she is very easy to work with. Ive only had one time that she's even came close to giving me any trouble and that was when i rehoused her last time. but is quite expected when you chase them out of their burrow. even then she wasn't that bad. most of the time she will run before she will fight. and Ive only had her kick hairs once.
i have a g. rosea that is ten times as aggressive.

Water spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think I would have any trouble with normal maintenance, but I would have to rehouse it at some point...

I will surely be getting one at some point, and making an enclosure that allows it to swim too.