H.Gigas Molting

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe this is why it has been spending so much time in its water dish.The dish is an 18 ounce peanut butter jar lid to give you an idea of the size.I'll add post molt pictures later...Rich

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok Im starting to worry now.That picture was takin at 7am this morning when i got off work.Its almost 5 pm now and its still not finished molting.I know its still alive cause its moving.Wonder how long they can take.Its had to be at least 12 hrs now....Rich

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by bluerich74
Ok Im starting to worry now.That picture was takin at 7am this morning when i got off work.Its almost 5 pm now and its still not finished molting.I know its still alive cause its moving.Wonder how long they can take.Its had to be at least 12 hrs now....Rich
Man i dont know my L.Parahybana molted about a week and a half ago and i was knda worried it only took him 5 hours though 12 hours is a long time, im going to wait to see what the experts have to say

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Moisten a paper towel and put it in the microwave for a few seconds... then place the towel in the tank close to, but not touching the T. This will help increase your humidity and improve your chances of the little bugger finishing the molt.

The TKG recommends swabbing Glycerine and/or warm water (small, small, SMALL amounts) on the leg joints to increase elasticity for the duration of the molt - though I have not tried any method that involved direct contact with my T during a molt.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! I'm sure he'll pull through.

LCDXX

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its been over 24 hours an the molt process is still not finished.I believe its going to loose a leg.The leg seems stuck and pretty mangled.I believe the taranula is trying to chew(if this is possible) the leg off.I know they dont chew but its holding the leg near its mouth.The t seems very lively,so Im hoping itll pull through with maybe just a loss of a leg.Rich

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've just been reading the T Keeper's Guide (in the bath:p ) and it says that if a tarantula gets stuck in a bad moult they will try to remove the leg by biting at it as a way of escape. If you are sure that it is definitely stuck, perhaps you could remove the leg yourself? If you've tried to moisten the exuvium and it still cannot get out, you may want to consider it. One of the regular posters here (Lopez) had to perform surgery and had good results.

Heres the link:surgery

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont think its going to make it.I took the leg off.and put the T in an icu but theres very little movement now.Im so upset with myself.I should have done something sooner.He was very lively yesterday and even this morning when I got off of work.I'll know better if this happens again,I suppose....Rich

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont think its going to make it.I took the leg off.and put the T in an icu but theres very little movement now.Im so upset with myself.I should have done something sooner.He was very lively yesterday and even this morning when I got off of work.I'll know better if this happens again,I suppose....Rich
Man that sucks, i hope he pulls through for you

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hopefully he's just tired. Imagine how tired you'd be if you got your leg trapped in a hole and were trying to get it out all night....

You've done all you can for him, so let's hope he pulls through. Good luck!

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
My H. Maculata molted a couple weeks ago and its leg got stuck in and it eventually cast it off. Tarantulas can drop their legs off if they want. Look and see if the T is bleeding from where you removed the leg. If it is get newskin and dab some on the wound. Mine was bleeding a tiny bit and curled up in a death curl kinda and then I dabbed new skin on the wound and she was moving around like normal and within a few hours she was good to go. Good Luck with it.

peace

TheDOn

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think its too late>im pretty sure mine is dead.I have it in icu.I"ll leave it in overnight while I work,but Im not expecting any change..Thanks for all the help guys...Rich:(

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
thats too bad... I know how I woulda felt if i woulda lost my Maculata. Its too bad that sometimes you have to lose something to learn something new. Atleast next time you will know what to do and will be able to do it sooner.

peace

TheDon

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The poor thing didnt make it...:(
I am so sorry to hear about your loss... :(
But you did all you could... You should not blame yourself that you did not take the leg off earlier... Sometimes it is hard to guess what would be the best solution...