H.arizonensis - post molt questions

georgie_81

Arachnopeon
So my H.arizonensis completed a successful molt last Sunday but I have a few concerns.

1- her left back leg looks broken - it's completely flat against the ground and in a position that looks odd compared to the other legs (see pic). Also it doesn't move when she does. Do you think it looks damaged or is she just resting it? And if it is broken will this affect her mobility?

2- she doesn't move much at all - is this usual after a molt? I've only owned adult scorpions so not experienced a molt before. She is alive and reacts to any change in the air but I'm not sure after a week if she should be more active?

3- I have built her a new enclosure and wondered how long I should wait until moving her into her new home. I don't want to damage or stress her out moving her too soon. How long until the exoskeleton hardens?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Last edited:

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Give her a good two weeks alone after the molt do not disturb her. it's possible she broke her leg during the molt and it's not to big of a deal, it may affect her mobility alittle bit but not much. I have a scorpion that is missing half of a leg and you can't even tell by how fast he moves.
Also congratulations on a successful molt i hear this species has a pretty high mortality rate during molts.

georgie_81

Arachnopeon
Give her a good two weeks alone after the molt do not disturb her. it's possible she broke her leg during the molt and it's not to big of a deal, it may affect her mobility alittle bit but not much. I have a scorpion that is missing half of a leg and you can't even tell by how fast he moves.
Also congratulations on a successful molt i hear this species has a pretty high mortality rate during molts.
Brilliant - thanks for the advice. I'll leave her be for another week.

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Wow, sorry to hear it wish we knew why this species has such a hard time with molting. mine is an adult so luckily I don't have to go through that. sorry for your loss.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Wow, sorry to hear it wish we knew why this species has such a hard time with molting. mine is an adult so luckily I don't have to go through that. sorry for your loss.
Most of mine are adults except one so I share the relief.

@georgie_81 Regarding your inquiry there are a number of theories out there. Someone here a while back posted a hugely detailed account of their successful captive molt of this species. Not sure where the thread disappeared to but the enclosure itself I remember being described as being very detailed. Many inches of substrate, false bottom set up underneath, all kinds of factors.

If I find it I'll link it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe try to get an adult next time since they are a relatively long lived species and it would save the headache of molting.

Last edited: