gut load for crickets

IndianaSlim

Arachnopeon
I've got this gut load stuff, yellow wet crystal looking, says it's calcium-enriched. Will that stuff alone make my crickets a better meal for my tarantulas or do I need to feed the crickets something else?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got this gut load stuff, yellow wet crystal looking, says it's calcium-enriched. Will that stuff alone make my crickets a better meal for my tarantulas or do I need to feed the crickets something else?
that will help, you can also use the dry stuff that looks like grains and the orange stuff that looks like carrot squares.

also, I think anything whole wheat like bread or bagels would also be good.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Crickets eat most anything, you can gut load with dog food, oatmeal, breakfast cereal et c.. Though gut loading is more of an issue if using the crickets to feed herps.

I personally bothered to do so for my ts for the past two years (Live in a small apartment and the chirping of the crickets would drive me nuts), I just buy what I need for that week's feeding and toss them into the enclosures. When I did, I just used Fukers Orange Cubes.

Last edited:

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can try other stuff and see what works best for you. Personally the crystals dry out too quick for me. Give the dry stuff a try but provide the water crystals about once a day, they need a source of hydration.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how about goldfish flake food :clap: or calcium plus food for crickets :clap: give them a try what you got to lose :) ;) === phil

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use the flukers dry food and some orange slices. they seem to really love the orange slices.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use both the yellow gut load cricket drink and the gut load food. Keeps them alive long enough to feed to some hungry fangs!:D :D

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can use the gut load gel, just not the calcium enriched one. It is thought that a diet too high in calcium can result in T's having difficulties molting. Remember what you put into your crix goes into your T's.

mandolin101

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have also used orange slices. It seems to work well, as long as you throw them out before they get all moldy...