guarding?

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is it normal for emps to stay in a fort type burrow?i built a lil shack out of thin craft board and 2 pegs for legs to support it up then went with the fake floor with the gravel and peat moss and buried the shack with peat moss like a cave ..seems they love it but the male seems to be guarding the entrance and the female is farther in the back.i have the humidity at like 80 and the temp is like at 70-75...was just wondering if this is like a normal thing for emps .....should i worry about this?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
It is most likely sitting and waiting for prey to come by.

Emps are more likely to use the sit and wait strategy for prey capture. They don't always do this but they will do this most of the time. Many other species do this as well as it requires much less energy expenditure than active foraging does.

John
];')

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe thier waiting for you to turn out the lights so they can get it on.......hehehe
<3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
NightCrawler27 said:
seems they love it but the male seems to be guarding the entrance and the female is farther in the back
Do emperor males guard their females? Maybe he's catching the food and giving it to his girl. Boy, if I had a guy who would do that for ME... ;)

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol...its always dark in their tank.i have had them for a few weeks but i watch them and observe them closely and it seems to me they dont like bright lights so i leave a towel over their tank with about 10% of it open for fresh air.they are very smart ..i never knew how smart t's ..scorps..and dragons are but they know when i get home from work in the morning..and when it feeding time..they seem to have almost picked up the same instincts that a dog has for its owner ..just cant wait till they have some lil ones ,..that will be a big day for us

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
guesskatiejules said:
Do emperor males guard their females? Maybe he's catching the food and giving it to his girl. Boy, if I had a guy who would do that for ME... ;)
Wish i had a girlfriend who would do that for me {D ;)

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's why emperors are known as ambush predators... He's safe in his hide in that picture...his claws are open and ready to close on prey.. and he's minimally visible. It's a very natural behavior.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He's definitely waiting for food. Give him some and watch if he still sits in that position.

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
eating aint a problem ..they eat everything i put in there...i just didnt know what they were up to since i keep them together ..we wasnt sure if maybe they breed behind our backs and he was just keepin her safe ..or if he is just a pig and wanted all the food...so many different things it could be ..just thought maybe someone had a simular experiance

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
That's why emperors are known as ambush predators... He's safe in his hide in that picture...his claws are open and ready to close on prey.. and he's minimally visible. It's a very natural behavior.
thats my spinifer, not his emp >.<
t'was an example

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
thats my spinifer, not his emp >.<
t'was an example
Yes you can tell by the claws, its more slender that an emp. Emps have a shield like claw!!