Growth Reversal After Molt?

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all,

Well, I'll tell you right away the spider in question here is a G. rosea :)rolleyes: ). She's about 4.5 inches, never had problems with her...of course, besides for her appetite. She's taken an 8 month diet, ate for about a week, and then dieted for another 6 months, and now she's coming up on a molt (2 year interval). Her abdomen is quite small, just a little smaller than her carapace. My question is...since she hasn't eaten in so long, is there a chance her growth after this next molt will be stunted? :? I've heard they can even lose some size.:?

If you guys can shoot me some info/facts/experience...it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.:)

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if it's a 4.5" female her abdomen should NOT be smaller than her carpace. are you sure it's female?

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if it's a 4.5" female her abdomen should NOT be smaller than her carpace. are you sure it's female?
Yep...100% sure. And just to clarify, the abdomen is HARDLY smaller than the carapace...but I mean...thats still small by female standards.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Reversal in growth from a molt? Ts when they are adults will molt just to freshen up, they wont gain size to much at that stage but they will never go backwards in size. I don't even think thats possible.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Good point. Has water...hmm...100% sure its female... I don't know but doesn't sound normal to me.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what are you offering her as food?

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what are you offering her as food?
Crix...and heres another thing...she pounces on them when I throw them in there, then after about thirty seconds she leaves it alone and goes about her own business.

And yes I know this doesnt sound normal. Its perplexing even me.:confused:

If if can get a camera, I'll post a pic asap.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Reversal in growth from a molt? Ts when they are adults will molt just to freshen up, they wont gain size to much at that stage but they will never go backwards in size. I don't even think thats possible.
rhys brigida from ats said it is possible and i can easily envision the mechanism for it. makes me want to do experiments. *shudders* never mind. heh.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crix...and heres another thing...she pounces on them when I throw them in there, then after about thirty seconds she leaves it alone and goes about her own business.

hmmm..this behavior sounds like pre-moult.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmm..this behavior sounds like pre-moult.
yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Thats why im curious if it could possible lose size after the molt becuase her abdomen is so dang small. I know she's healthy and everything...so I'll just wait and see.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member

Have you checked to see if her fangs are intact?