growth rate of some species

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what has been people's experiences with the growth of c. fasciatum, n. chromatus, a. bicoloratum? i have a b. smithi and know that it is going to take awhile for it to reach adulthood because my b. emilia is slow as all get out as well.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i love the fact that people have been looking at the post but do not post a response. great work, i love the advice.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i love the fact that people have been looking at the post but do not post a response. great work, i love the advice.
Can't help you. I've never had one... There you go, a response.

I think I speak for all the other viewers that didn't post.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i can understand if a person has never owned one, but i find it hard to believe that 70+ people do not own at least one of the species that i mentioned. oh well, guess i'll find out on my own how fast these things grow. thanks for the post at least.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know how you feel. I have just recently gotten involved with tarantulas. Got my first one Jan. 19. I just bought my fifth one yesterday. I do have a C. fasciatum or D. fasciatum now I guess. But it's only about 1/2" and is in pre-molt right now. Therefore I couldn't be much help fto you. I think the problem is a lot of people don't keep records of their T's growth. You can check out this website that I like to visit. He has useful information on species care, and lists the molt date along with the old and new size of the T.
http://www.bighairyspiders.com/

The species are listed down the side of the page. I hope this helps you out a little.
:p

GrofKjans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My N chromatus molted on January 1st . Growth rate cc5cm - cc7cm. I expect a molt between 5th and 15th March. The previous molt was (I guess) somtime in october. hope this help

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah, the website helped a bit. it gave me an idea as to how quick these jokers will grow and that's all i needed. i've done searches on here and have not been able to find out anything about the growth rate of the species i was uncertain of. thanks for the link.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Nhandu species typically grow a decent rate I think. I dont own a Chromatus but I own a coloratovillosus and I know they arent super slow.

It will grow faster than your Smithi, but not as fast as something like a L Parahybana or Blondi.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
all three of them grow at about medium speed, the a. bicoloratum slower than the other two. quicker than a smithi, slower than a parahybana.

however, growth speed also depends on temperature, feeding, sex of the t and maybe factors we don't know anything about. i have 2 a. versicolor slings for example. the parameters are the same for both of them, they have the same sex and still don't grow at the same rate...

Last edited:

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I own an A. bicoloratum. Got it for Christmas. It was around 1/4 inch in size. It molted last month and is still close to 1/4 inch in size! It is bigger just not a lot bigger. I have several other slings and this one grows the slowest. Don't get in any big hurry. The pay off is that they typically live a long time.

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got a n. chromatus as a freebie about 6 months ago it was the size of an ant (2-3cm) and now its around 4" hope that help.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am agreeing with Alice. My T's molt like crazy in the spring and summer but almost none in the winter months. The lowest temp in the winter in my house is about 68. In the summer, up to 10 degrees higher.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got a .5 inch C. fasciatum last July. It is a 4 inch beauty now.

I got my N. chromatus as a freebie last Aug. at less than .5", it is a bit slower than fasciatum. It just molted to 3" last week.

I guess our tropical climate promotes steady growth for these critters. I do not powerfeed them. Usually, I feed them every 3 days a single cricket, whose size is equal to the length of the T's abdomen.
I hope this gives you an idea on their growth rate.

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
excellent, this is the info. i have been waiting for. thanks for all who posted.