Growing Bromeliaceae from Seed

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Here is the progress so far:

20230115_235514.jpg
20230123_230655.jpg
20230223_220509.jpg
Sadly the berries were picked by yours truly from within a huge collection of Bromeliaceae at one of the botanical gardens in Budapest, so nether do i know the exact species, nor if they may be hybrids. I am kicking myself for not taking pictures of the mother plants.

Anyway, am hopeful that i will be able to thell the genus in time as they develop, but we will see.

If any of you have experience with growing these or relatives of their cousins (Tillandsia) from seed let me know.

I just started some Tillandsia seeds recently and pictures will follow if successful.

For growing them in an adequately ventilated space i just reused some of my Poecilotheria sling boxes for them XD, doesn't having spiders come in handy : ).

Anyway feel free to add pictures of your own seedlings, pups, or even full plants. And ofc ask questions if you have any.

Cheers

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
20230321_115029.jpg
Tillandsia sp. seedlings, wow these grew fast, i could barely see the seeds and must have spread them out unevenly, but just a month later most of them already have 3-4 leaves at about 1-2 cm in lenght.

I was expecting them to take much longer than that.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I wish I could take you back a few decades and introduce you to the botanical gardens huge epiphyte greenhouses and the team of fanatical keepers of what I termed 'the jungle'. At first glance the place was overgrown chaos. It turned out the overcrowding was intentional. They, especially the bromeliads, love company, the more crowded together the better. They create their own miniature ecosystems aiding and enabling their neighbors to flourish. Sort of the antithesis of most plants - the more dense the foliage, the more nutrient rich air and moisture becomes available. Quite similar to many molds where a poorly ventilated damp environment is their preferred playground.

Last edited:

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I wish I could take you back a few decades and introduce you to the botanical gardens huge epiphyte greenhouses and the team of fanatical keepers of what I termed 'the jungle'. At first glance the place was overgrown chaos. It turned out the overcrowding was intentional. They, especially the bromeliads, love company, the more crowded together the better. They create their own miniature ecosystems aiding and enabling their neighbors to flourish. Sort of the antithesis of most plants - the more dense the foliage, the more nutrient rich air becomes available.
interesting, i would have certainly loved to see that

The Snark

Old Timer
interesting, i would have certainly loved to see that
My memory fails me somewhat here but approximately in less than around 1000 square feet of floor space and 15 foot ceilings, they had over 1000 species or sub species of plants.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
the only sad part about collections like that is that many of the plants are still fairly young in evolutionary terms and can hybridize, & if you don't keep track of the original lines you end up with lots of unknowns

other than that awesome

The Snark

Old Timer
the only sad part about collections like that is that many of the plants are still fairly young in evolutionary terms and can hybridize, & if you don't keep track of the original lines you end up with lots of unknowns
Thanks. I got to have a good laugh at myself with that. While I'm functional rudementarily biological and botanical wise, with plants the bus stops there, dead in it's tracks. I call it my botanical brick wall and gazing beyond it my brain starts whimpering and preparing to go into a nervous decline. Me being the last person on the planet to place your plants care under.
IE I can relate to what you said but can't even imagine what the long term hybridizing effects would be.

Wife gone for three months I was entrusted to the care of her one little inside houseplant. In spite of everything I did it slowly turned brown and was at deaths door when the boss returned. Then in one week it's solid green and making up for lost time. A Chinese herbologist explained it as too much yan. Hot fierce hands that plants tend to hate.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
So here is an embarassing Update :anxious:

I am pretty sure the "Tillandsia" seedlings turned out to be regular Grass because for one they grew way too quickly and secondly they look nothing like the stocky plants they should have come from. The only strange part is that i have not gotten any grass in the boxes were i did not seed out "Tillandsia" seeds and i did use the same moss.... who knows how that works.

here is what is left of them, i did stop caring for it for the most part once i made the determination, so it does look a little sad.

20230622_000059.jpg

the Bromeliads however have grown well, the ones i separated out early did much better since they were spaced out better and have some soil beneath the moss to draw nutrients from.

20230622_000524.jpg
Also, what i first assumed to be another species of Bromeliad turned out to be something entirely different.

I did wonder why the berry looked so different, all because i mixed up the plants it could have come from in my head.

It turns out they are bona-fine Anthurium seedlings, probably growing as a weed underneath the Bromeliad bench and me beeing distracted.

Here is one growing between the Bromeliads. I can't wait so see what type they are.
20230622_000542.jpg

Cheers,
Wolfram

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thanks. I guess an update is in order.

There is some older thrips damage on the bromeliads sadly, but despite that they developed well this summer.

20231109_184351.jpg
it defenitly looks like a reminiscent of a pineapple even if it is not in the Ananas genus...

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How is your grass coming along though?

This is beautiful and inspiring. I think this is the only source/ method I would feel comfortable with using live plants.

I would like to try Tillandsia myself, I hope you try again!

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
How is your grass coming along though?

This is beautiful and inspiring. I think this is the only source/ method I would feel comfortable with using live plants.

I would like to try Tillandsia myself, I hope you try again!
the grass is dead, i discarded it

well, i had to use systemic insecticides to save the bromeliads and on top of that it ist starting to grow wicked spines, so i wouldnt use these ones.
20231109_184419.jpg

if you plan on setting up future terrarium plants i would reccomend using stem cuttings of Epipremnum, Ivy or vining Ficus. That way it doesnt matter if any pesticides were used as all you will eventually add is the new growth.

I will try again for sure, just as soon as i get my hands on some hopefully viable seed.

Last edited: