Green Emps

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello once again, I have just a small question for ya. As you probably remember I have two emps and they have recently aquired a green shade. Very green. Am I doing something terribly wrong...or are they approaching a molt? And also, Dave, I don't think I mentioned my appreciated for your help with the handling question. Thanks a lot. And thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Marcus

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
As far as emps go all I have had were adults not juvies that were on their way to a molt. I have see a greenish-blue color on some that kind of looks like a corroded copper color. If they are turing completely green I'm not sure what it could be. Do you have any pics of it to post?

John
];')

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its not completely green...just like a green-tone overlay. Today for some reason its not as noticeable...may be the lightening though as well, because i had some natural light through the window with my previous viewing. They seem to be more skittish as well, as one just pinched me...which is a first. I don't have a way to take pics unless I can hold them close to the comp. and use my webcam as I was about to try. They seem to be quite reluctant in letting me handle them so thats a no. But I'm pretty sure its just premolt with your description.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
It sounds like from your 2nd description tha what you are seeing is normal sheen that emps sometimes have...my H.spinifer also exhibit this sheen in the right lighting conditions.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I would have to agree with John. It is most likely that you just don't notice the colours under indoor lighting. Most "black" scorpions have subtler tones to their exoskeletons. Some are a deepish purple, others greenish.

As for the help, don't worry 'bout it. That's why we are all here.

Cheers,
Dave

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm...well don't I feel like an ass..hehe. Learn something new every day..lol. :D

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I think they might have eaten a bad cricket and are just nauseous..... ;)

Scott

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they look green in real sunlight..

Take one outside on a sunny day and yes they look green. Some look blue. Seemed strange to me 1st time I saw it as well but it's perfectly normal.
Phil

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm...would the ex-pet of a deep-ally junkie be considered a possible "bad cricket"? hehe. Yeah, I brought the bugger up to my window today and it did the same thing...rock on. Now that I feel like an ass...I'm going back to the T forum where at least I'm knowledgable. :cool: =D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's exposure to ultra violet light, same as what happens when you shine a black light on them.

I was at a pet shop once where they were advertising "green" emperors. On closer inspection, I could see the full-spectrum reptile light that was really resposible! I can only imagine the shocked surprise when some newbie's green scorpion turned black when they got it home! =D

Wade