Gravid Curly Hair

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Well, that gravid curly hair I got has walled herself up into a burrow. I have absolutely no way to see her, and am a bit iffy about introducing food unless I know she's not laying eggs. Is there a way I can safely check on her without causing her too much stress?

-Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Unfortunately not really. You can try to open up a little space to see if you can see into the burrow, but if she is laying eggs, you run the risk of scaring her into eating the eggs. Can you see into the burrow at all? Maybe shine a light in there... Just remember the risks involved.

Scott

U

Unregistered

This one's for TheEternal... your list says you have a 1" female a. versicolor. How can you tell she's female? I have a 1.5" a. avicularia and I can't tell what its sex is at this time.

V

veronyka

Dang it, that last one was from me, and my name didn't take :p anyway I have the pinktoe that I don't know the sex of.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
most sexing at that size involves both a microscope and a little bit of guesswork.

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm... I guess it's time to bust out the ol' Tarantula Owner's Guide and get to studying.. or I could wait until she ( I hope it's a "she") molts and go from there. Thanks! :D

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Re: sexing a teenie tarantula

With the right equipment and by knowing exactly what to look for, it's not too difficult. There's a link in the links section on this sexing method.

I'm only about 80% sure it's a female, but I'd say that I like my odds :) My 1" L parahybana keeps shredding his molts, so I'm still unsure as to his sex.

-Bryan

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Check the links on this site Tarantula lover, there are a few good retailers who im sure stock a brazilian black. If you cant find one, there are many other great spiders you could have.