Gravid and molting question...

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
I had a B. Albopilosum MF 5.5"-6" that molted last july 2010. I paired and mated her successfully last october 2010 (as what i thought coz i saw two good insertion from the male - male made a sperm web 2 days before that). I fed the female constantly since after the mating process. The female gained weight and size in the next few months. Last month, Jan 2011, she started making a heavy webbing in her enclosure, to the point that it almost blocked her whole entrance of her hide. Just last night, I noticed that she layed on her back and on the process of molting. Here is my question....

Could a gravid female that was power fed molted instead of laying a sac because she gained too much size? or is there any other reason?

RJ2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sometimes they molt out :? if you still have the male try pairing them after she hardens.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a B. Albopilosum MF 5.5"-6" that molted last july 2010. I paired and mated her successfully last october 2010 (as what i thought coz i saw two good insertion from the male - male made a sperm web 2 days before that). I fed the female constantly since after the mating process. The female gained weight and size in the next few months. Last month, Jan 2011, she started making a heavy webbing in her enclosure, to the point that it almost blocked her whole entrance of her hide. Just last night, I noticed that she layed on her back and on the process of molting. Here is my question....

Could a gravid female that was power fed molted instead of laying a sac because she gained too much size? or is there any other reason?
One of my females albo's did the same thing.......i have since re-paired her wit the male, and now waiting on the sac!....even after the molt, she didnt seem to loose any of the girth she gained before molting....im thinkin she was gravid, but to far along in her molt cycle to produce a sac, so she molted, hangin on to the eggs in hopes that the male was still hangin about???

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I tend to not feed the crap out of them after pairing. I feed them so they put on some weight, but I also want to see them gain weight without feeding. This indicates (to me) that they are producing eggs.

I find that feeding them nonstop after pairing more often than not results in a molt instead of a sac. This is just from my own experience, of course.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the main reason why Cody can hold on to my MM as long as needed. He has no love life here and a short life so I'm not in any hurry to get him back.