Grasshopper Feeder

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi I was wondering if any of u used grasshoppers or locusts as feeders, as I cant find any, and Crix stink badly and roaches petrify my mom.

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i use them when i catch them in the wild, but the problem i find with them is their hind legs are too powerful and must be removed. even then grasshoppers are great climbers and can easily climb the walls to stay out of reach of all my invertebrates. if you do use them as feeders you have to disable or freeze them, unless you hand feed your pets.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes the hind legs are definitely the biggest problem with grasshoppers. If they are removed, which is what i do using an exacto knife, the critter can still crawl around in order to attract your invertebrate, and it also is prevented from fighting back when caught and from climbing the walls so easily.

Montgg

Arachnosquire
Alnos how's the grasshoppers going? Did you get them to breed. I'm thinking of breaking some locusts just want your advice thx

cold blood

Staff member
Alnos how's the grasshoppers going? Did you get them to breed. I'm thinking of breaking some locusts just want your advice thx
13 year old thread Montgg, you ain't getting answers from these cats, they ain't exactly around any longer.

What do you mean by "breaking some locusts"?? I can't make sense of that statement.:unsure:

Its NEVER a good idea to feed wild caught prey, the risks are simply too great unless you live in a very wild place far from civilization where pesticide use is commonplace.