Grammostola pulchra sling- what do?

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
Currently, I have a collection of 5 t's. An Acanthoscurria geniculata juvie, which is doing well, a Grammostola pulchra sling, which is doing unknown, a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling, which is doing well, and two Brachypelma albopilosum slings which are doing okay.

The Grammostola pulchra is around 1-1.1/4", and I house it in a deli container kept dry with a water dish as to avoid any possible humidity-related death. I provide cork bark as a hide, and use coco fiber. F8E74D6D-F49D-4948-853B-809A99CC9192.jpeg
It hasn't been eating for the past two weeks, and has sealed off the hide from all sides. 87802D0C-1FEE-4442-A9B3-B60E2725EC3C.jpeg
For my knowledge it probably hasn't came out. Could it be dehydrated and what could I do?

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
That’s a huge container, she’s probably hiding from the immense space.

A 2oz deli cup would be plenty for now.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
As others have said, it's fine.

That’s a huge container, she’s probably hiding from the immense space.

A 2oz deli cup would be plenty for now.
I wouldn't say 2 oz deli cup, seems a bit too cramped for a 1 1/4" spider (as most 2 oz deli cups are around 1 3/4 " - 2 3/8"), 16 oz deli cups would be fine as well as this one.

cold blood

Staff member
As others have said, it's fine.

I wouldn't say 2 oz deli cup, seems a bit too cramped for a 1 1/4" spider (as most 2 oz deli cups are around 1 3/4 " - 2 3/8"), 16 oz deli cups would be fine as well as this one.
I agree...i wouldnt use this deep of a deli cup though....give them a lot of room to burrow and this disappearing act happens almost every time. Until juvies, i give my slings a minimum amount of sub depth...just enough to burrow, but not enough to burrow to any extreme.

RonC

Arachnopeon
Might want to partly bury the water dish . Easier access for the T instead of climbing when it does come out. My G. pulchripes decided to close it's hide off too last night.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't this species have moistened substrate as a sling?

fleetwoodmcc

Arachnopeon
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't this species have moistened substrate as a sling?
No, this species stays away from damp areas like the plague...however, I think its beneficial to have at least part of it damp just so it can drink from substrate if need be, as well as offering just some more moist regions of the spider should prefer that (even though mine stays far away).

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
No, this species stays away from damp areas like the plague...however, I think its beneficial to have at least part of it damp just so it can drink from substrate if need be, as well as offering just some more moist regions of the spider should prefer that (even though mine stays far away).
As adults, sure. The slings don't get the standard sling moistening?

Snowy Snowman

Arachnosquire
As adults, sure. The slings don't get the standard sling moistening?
When my lil guy was smaller, I kept him in a condiment cup. I moistened a corner, and he stayed at the opposite position of that. I then moved the damp corner around a couple times because I forgot which corner I dampen. He would always stay away from the water.

So now I just keep it dry with a water dish if he needs to drink

cold blood

Staff member
Pretty much all NW slings (almost all slings really) should be kept on slightly damp substrate or with access to a damp area..

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Yes, but this doesn't seem such a small sling anymore...
Fair enough. He still looks pretty small to me (but I readily admit spatial relations are one of my weak points) but the OP says that the spider avoided the moist areas, so you're likely right that it no longer needs the moist sub. Never hurts to check, though! Thanks. :)

RonC

Arachnopeon
So at what size should an arid terrestrial species be on dry substrate?