Grammostola pulchra female worth

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Whats an average US price of a female of this species that’s 4.5”+? I found a mature one for $450 and was just wondering if it’s worth it.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I'm new to the hobby, but from my perusing I've seen MF's in the $200-400 range.

JohnR

Arachnopeon
Not surprised if keepers/collectors looking for this sp will snag this even for that price!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whats an average US price of a female of this species that’s 4.5”+? I found a mature one for $450 and was just wondering if it’s worth it.

I've owned this species before. It's beautiful if you like solid black. But not at all worth that much to me. They weren't always this expensive either. I've seen them for 250-300 more frequently than above that ranch.

You could get any other NW Brachy, and a few other Gram's for far less and get the same type of behavioral observations.

I'd never pay that much for a tarantula, just not worth it to me.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
That's definitely on the steep end. I'd pass but that's ultimately up to you. They are a little on the harder side to find but unless you've got the extra cash to blow, I think it'd be worth waiting for a better deal.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Or you can get a Brachypelma schroederi.

Think of it as G. pulchra, but smaller.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have a sling right now. If it turns out to be a male I havo no issue paying 200 bucks for a sexed female. The good thing about g pulchra, even males live for 7 to 8 years. I think there so expensive because they are apparently very difficult to breed and they cant be imported. Maybe someday they will be as common as g pulchripes but who knows.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I think there so expensive because they are apparently very difficult to breed and they cant be imported. Maybe someday they will be as common as g pulchripes but who knows.
They're so expensive as juvies/adults because nobody wants to wait 5+ years for a sling to grow, people will charge whatever they like for them because they know some impatient sod will pay it, the fact that they fetch around the same price as G. iheringi here despite being much more available is a joke.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I just have a few trades that are worth $450 and am wondering if it's worth it. Mostly because at this one expo I go to theres always a mature male for $100. And yes I know it's extremely hard to breed these but I'd like to give it a shot.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
These are the opinions/answers you’re looking for.

I'd never pay that much for a tarantula, just not worth it to me.
That's definitely on the steep end. I'd pass but that's ultimately up to you.
I havo no issue paying 200 bucks for a sexed female.
I myself wanted one as well, but it seems a bit much, and said to myself one day, yes one day, but I’d wait just for now.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I have a trade worth $450 and I think I’ll be doing that for the adult female Grammostola pulchra. They’re super hard to find and one is on this forum for $475 so I believe I’m making the right decision!

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have a trade worth $450 and I think I’ll be doing that for the adult female Grammostola pulchra. They’re super hard to find and one is on this forum for $475 so I believe I’m making the right decision!
It is if you want one bad enough. Before I got into t's I was into snakes. As far as price goes, the most expensive tarantula is still alot cheaper than alot of snakes.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
It is if you want one bad enough. Before I got into t's I was into snakes. As far as price goes, the most expensive tarantula is still alot cheaper than alot of snakes.
True. I remember seeing good sized Rhino vipers for sale at $250 each. That’s pretty cheap in my opinion.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Value is determined by the buyer w/out a doubt. Honestly, your money do what you want. But if you feel it's worth it, then I have a bridge in San Francisco and one in NYC to sell you as well.

Just because one is on this forum for that price doesn't mean it's a good price.

In my opinion you "seriously" need some therapy if you drop that much on a G. pulchra. They are nice, but they aren't rare.

Buyers like yourself just drive up the costs for absolutely no good, logical reason.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
As I said, it’s a trade worth the pulchra. The stuff I have is actually dropping in price due to many people now having them. Tell me where else your gonna find a 5” female these days dude? They don't come up that often and for that I think they are rare.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
As someone who has owned 2 G. pulchra, $450 is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion...UNLESS...you are a breeder who knows what you're doing and it's an investment that you will likely profit from long-term. For a regular keeper, it's really just price gouging.

But, it is your money and you are free to do what you want with it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As I said, it’s a trade worth the pulchra. The stuff I have is actually dropping in price due to many people now having them. Tell me where else your gonna find a 5” female these days dude? They don't come up that often and for that I think they are rare.
Just depends on your time frame and how badly one needs it.

There's no need to tell me to get out of here either hah. Pfft :smug:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As someone who has owned 2 G. pulchra, $450 is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion
I paid 50$ for my female. But hey, maybe at 450$ it cooks you breakfast and brushes your teeth, they do have 8 legs after all.:D

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Listen bro, as I stated for the third time its for a trade and my items are going to be practically going down in price due to being more available. If I sell them by themselves with no trade, I'd be losing $400. I'm not getting mad either, I just wish you had some reasoning why you think they aren't worth $450 when 5" females are rarely ever seen available on forums/good price at expos. You got your female years back I'm guessing?