Grammostola pulchra feeding

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Since this species gets pretty big, would they require roaches as food as adults? I'm use to using crickets and don't have a lot of knowledge on keeping roaches.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
No, it wouldn't. You could just feed more crickets per week. I would space them out over the week and not put them all in at once.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Roaches would provide a bigger meal, but even the biggest Theraphosa sp. could be fed on exclusively crix. Like Trenor said, as long as you space them out you won't waste them and they would be a perfectly fine food source. Although, if you do plan on getting more, then it might be good so you don't run to the pet store every week or two :D

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I do like feeding roaches personally but running a colony of them for one T is way over kill IMO. I have 60ish Ts and a BD that eats Dubia roaches and my colony still produces way more than I can even think about using. About every two weeks I give away all the extra adult males and the extra adult females to a guy to keep the colony in check. So for one T (or a dozen) no matter the size I'd recommend buying the feeders as you need them.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crickets are fine for the bigger Ts. I feed crickets almost exclusively, even to my MF T. stirmi, with the occasional roach thrown in as a treat (or because I don't have time to run to the store and buy crickets.) I'm just getting my roach colony going, so overproduction is not an issue - yet.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you! Is this species a slow grower?
Yes very slow as they age but as sling not much different to any other. As they get larger the growth between moults is significant.
These aren't unlike G rosea whereas feeding a huge amount of prey whether roaches,crickets,locust etc will lead to the dreaded fasting we all love i feed my adult female who is 6-6.5" 2 adult crickets per week and even then she will sometimes refuse them

Last edited: