Grammostola pulchra digging project

avhall

Arachnopeon
So my G. pulchra was very busy apparently and made a huge hill outside his burrow lol. I’m sure he’s just being a normal T and just digging around but wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything to be on the lookout for. He’s packed all the substrate so high!

Attachments

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Pulchras tend to buldoze the enclosure if the substrate it's not compact enough.

You can solve it easily compacting the substrate or using a more compact substrate.

avhall

Arachnopeon
Pulchras tend to buldoze the enclosure if the substrate it's not compact enough.

You can solve it easily compacting the substrate or using a more compact substrate.
Awesome thank you!! I’ll do that today then. I thought I had it compact enough when I first put the enclosure together but apparently not.

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
They're a full wrecking crew in one little package.
You'll get stretches of having a tarantula, and long spans of having a nice dirt enclosure lol.
Like @Dorifto mentioned, tightly packed substrate is a must.
Expect it to remain hidden for a while, in the meantime brush up on Avicularia husbandry and consider getting your 2nd tarantula!
Best of luck!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Awesome thank you!! I’ll do that today then. I thought I had it compact enough when I first put the enclosure together but apparently not.
Coco fiber looses it's compactness once it dries, that's why I always suggest peat and clay based substrates, they hold she shape much much better, even dry, some even get more hard once dried up. Also they tend to provide better and more stable conditions.

I wouldn't loose my mind now, simply compact it. Simply keep it in mind for the next rehouse.

avhall

Arachnopeon
They're a full wrecking crew in one little package.
You'll get stretches of having a tarantula, and long spans of having a nice dirt enclosure lol.
Like @Dorifto mentioned, tightly packed substrate is a must.
Expect it to remain hidden for a while, in the meantime brush up on Avicularia husbandry and consider getting your 2nd tarantula!
Best of luck!
I’ve been researching avicularia! That’s my choice for my second tarantula, I just want to do more research first 😊

ByMennen

Arachnosquire
A good go-to for Avicularia!

avhall

Arachnopeon
Coco fiber looses it's compactness once it dries, that's why I always suggest peat and clay based substrates, they hold she shape much much better, even dry, some even get more hard once dried up. Also they tend to provide better and more stable conditions.

I wouldn't loose my mind now, simply compact it. Simply keep it in mind for the next rehouse.
Thanks so much!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So my G. pulchra was very busy apparently and made a huge hill outside his burrow lol. I’m sure he’s just being a normal T and just digging around but wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything to be on the lookout for. He’s packed all the substrate so high!
What makes you concerned?

avhall

Arachnopeon
What makes you concerned?
I just know certain behaviors can stem from the tarantula being stressed or unhappy with the substrate or something like that. I wasn’t too concerned because I know they like to dig and burrow but where it was pretty extreme (at least from what I’ve seen from him so far) I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t maybe something I was overlooking.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just know certain behaviors can stem from the tarantula being stressed or unhappy with the substrate or something like that. I wasn’t too concerned because I know they like to dig and burrow but where it was pretty extreme (at least from what I’ve seen from him so far) I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t maybe something I was overlooking.
Digging isn’t one of them based on your provided info.

Digging around is never too extreme- just enjoy observe etc ;)

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Mine is a weirdo bulldozer. It won't quit moving dirt and moss and refuses to use it's cork hide and chose the corner to chill in.

avhall

Arachnopeon
Mine is a weirdo bulldozer. It won't quit moving dirt and moss and refuses to use it's cork hide and chose the corner to chill in.
I think that’s how mine is going to be too lol. So far he has used his hide but he’s constantly been digging, bulldozing and occasionally chilling on the side of the enclosure. He’s a goofball.