Got my new pedes today...gigantea, subspinipes and one sp

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
to AGGRO (again)

Hey, read somewhere in this topic "s.morsitans momma "
at the bts show from a couple of americans they also had peruvian giants with them
seems like they're out there somehow ;) :D

greetz

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am willing to concede that its POSSIBLE (even though I don't believe it to be true) that these German suppliers have some sort of breeding technique that has so far completely escaped US hobbyists. The invert hobby has been popular in Europe much langer than in the US, so perhaps they've develpoed some reliable method for breeding these animals, that we don't even know how to sex.

I will also concede the very likley possibility that many of these "captive bred" plings are the result of WC gravid females dropping eggs after being imported. That happens frequently enough with pedes in general.

That said, it appears to me that most European countries just don't have much enforcement when it comes to other countries export laws. The US has the Lacey Act, which requires our Fish and and Wildlife Service to enforce the export laws of other nations as if it were our own. I've seen many things turn up in the European hobby that I've never even heard of being available here. Atrax species? These cannot even be legally shipped within Australia, yet they turn up in Europe. Poecilotheria metallica and P. miranda? These wern't ever supposed to enter the hobby as collection is completely illegal, yet suddenly slings are turning up in the US....imported from Europe. Acanthoscurria geniculata? From Brazil, annother closed country, yet again the US hobby owes this species availablity to the European market.

Notice that these species are coming in as captive bred spiderlings (from smuggled breeding stock). Since there's a huge profit to be made selling these in the US, I'd expect the same to be happening with S. gigantea, and maybe it will...if there really is all this captive breeding going on.

Wade

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Atrax species? These cannot even be legally shipped within Australia, yet they turn up in Europe
yep, Wade you're right again. ;) I can even say that i haven't seen a spiderfair without atrax species beeing sold :D

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just want to bring this up again it might jog peoples memory.
as far as i know bristol zoo inthe uk has bred this sp. still trying to find detailed write up on it but it is true there is a paper published on it!!!!!!!!!
and besides i like the pictures ;P

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Wayne,

yes, i read that on the bristol zoo website a while ago, but they seem to have taken the information down. It might be worth contacting someone at the zoo to find out some more details. Last time i went to the zoo, the bug house was a bit dissapointing, i think some people on these boards have better selectins of inverts!

Cheers,

Dan.

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi dan tried to contact zoo but got no joy
, also joined a zoo breeding site but nothing as of yet.sure a coulpe of people on here said they work at a zoo bet they could get the info. they do a lot of inter zoo work now :)