Got My G. Pulchra Sling Today!

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone. I just got my Grammastola Pulchra spiderling from Damien (scoolman). He/she arrived in amazing condition, packaged nicely, and I got a free cup. Plus, my sling was $51 altogether and is over 1.25". Anyways, I just wanted to mention its arrival. I am in love with tarantulas now, and I'm really excited to slowly watch my little sling grow. I made a burrow using the end of a thin marker and the G. Pulchra just dug deeper. Before that, it was just walking around the cup. But that moment where I saw it crawling in the burrow was unforgettable. Originally, I was going to get Avicularia Ssp. Avicularia "Pink-Toed", but I...well, I ha-...look, I decided not to. Anyways, I'm really happy about my sling. Any tips for a beginner?

Ghostmooner

Arachnopeon
TIP #1- Always research about your Ts. know what that particular type is and its needs.

TIP #2- Never throw them at your ex-girlfriends. (just incase it has to be mentioned)

TIP #3- NEVER, And I mean NEVER tell your mom or guardian who is scared to death of spiders to begin with, how big it'll grow up to be. its mean to make them lose their voice from yelling at u.

TIP#4- Try to never hold them. you are just puting them into a very risky situation where they could fall and splatter all over the ground. I know its hard to resist, sometimes u just gotta do it, so if u must, do it while sitting on the floor or bed, and keep em close to the ground, at least a foot off the ground.

TIP #5- Collect the hardest ones to find that u want the most first, it gives u time to save up money, and plan.

TIP #6- keep them out of sunlight, they are vampires, they'll burst into flames. (j/k) but do keep them out of sunlight.

TIP #7- when in doubt, ask us here at the forums.

TIP #8- when they molt, watch them closely. sometimes they have deadly difficulties molting and might need assistence.

TIP #5- don't drink and tarantula. its just a bad combination. the dance moves are harder when drunk.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
#1: My head is dizzy from all the reading.
#2: Darn! I was just about to do that!
#3: That's some info I could actually use. Everyone in my family is scared of arachnids.
#4: Ok, thanks. I'm going to try not to hold my sling too much.
#5: My family doesn't want me to get another. But I am. Like I always do.
#6: What about in the back of a bookshelf? I'm worried that's not enough light for it to tell the difference between lights and night.
#7: Thanks!
#8: How do I assist? When do I know when they're about to molt?
#9: I could only imagine how hard that would be. Like, spinning and falling when you're already on your back.

chebe2

Arachnopeon
You'll know they're about to molt when the butt is fat, black, and the T wont eat. You can assist if you notice a leg or something get stuck in the molt. I had a 1/2" versi sling I practically had to pull all its legs out. Looks like spaghetti noodles now but it's eating so hopefully next molt goes ok and it can fix itself! Welcome to the hobby; its crazy addictive so get ready

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Hey, do G. Pulchras fling utricating hairs? I'm just wondering; my father hates those.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Burntsnow, Yes, they have 'em but ime almost never kick. My 4.25-.5" male has only kicked very lightly- maybe 3 or so times- since I got it as a sling last Nov. None of the other 3 slings have been observed doing so yet.

Btw, welcome aboard and to the hobby. :)

Terry

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Thank you. I have actually been here for a while, lurking the boards. I don't usually post too much.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
#6: What about in the back of a bookshelf? I'm worried that's not enough light for it to tell the difference between lights and night.
Unless you're keeping them in the basement, they're going to get some sun, so no worries. You just want to avoid direct sunlight, like being in front of a window, or where sunlight will beam in at them. I have mine on top of a short bookshelf in my computer room (it's usually warmer in here, lol), away from the window. There's only one window, and oftentimes i'll just close the blinds if it's really bright out.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby. :)

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey, do G. Pulchras fling utricating hairs? I'm just wondering; my father hates those.
I am glad it is settling in nicely.
G pulchra have urticating hairs, but are not known for flicking. I have yet to see any of mine do it. They prefer to just turn and walk away when they are tired of me pestering them. Honestly, I have never even seen a bald G pulchra resulting from kicking.
Each T has it's own personality, so just be prepared. Though, I doubt you will have any trouble.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G pulchra have urticating hairs, but are not known for flicking. I have yet to see any of mine do it. They prefer to just turn and walk away when they are tired of me pestering them. Honestly, I have never even seen a bald G pulchra resulting from kicking.
I agree. I have never seen a pulchra flick hairs or a bald abdomen for this species. They are just way laid back.