Got a OBT to add to the family

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wanted to let you all know that i got a new obt, actually realy cool and bright orange its about 3" or so and seems very aggressive...lol of course the pet store put him in this tiny round dish thing so that realy made it hard to swap over to the tank im putting him in. But realy cool none the less, its aready webed up a area that looks like its going to be its new home.
hopefully this one doesnt have a molting problem like my last one had cuz i realy like this speices. ill get a picture as soon as i see it out agin.

im slowly getting addicted to these things all over again, i got 3 now
1:cyriopagapus,sp. blue
2:ephebopus murinus
3:pterinochilus murinus

i for what ever reason have these pets too wich dont realy work too well together but put them here cuz im board
cat, Cobalt blue lobster, 2 horny toads, and of course crickets for everyone

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
s/hes super! here it is, about 2.5-3" and fast! boy did we have trouble making the transfer to the 2.5gal...which she has already webbed up from end to end! here it is having its first meal with us

Last edited:

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that seems like a really big tank for that littl guy.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Big tank ? How small would you use ? Except for my 2 inch ones and the one sling I own, all of mine are in 5 gallon tanks. By the time you put in a hide,a little decor and a water dish, theres not a whole lot of space left over.

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Big tank ? How small would you use ? Except for my 2 inch ones and the one sling I own, all of mine are in 5 gallon tanks. By the time you put in a hide,a little decor and a water dish, theres not a whole lot of space left over.
took the words almost out of my mouth...this is actually the smallest enclosure we have that isnt temporary, since our last full grown OBT webbed half a 10 gal tank, we figured we could put this one in a 2.5 and never have to transfer it. it has already webbed most the tank and its only been 1 day

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've consedred getting an OBT,but have heard they disapear rarely to be seen.Has this been your experince thus far ?

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no actually our last one liked to come out of her hide and walk around exploring and webbing. we really missed seeing a pretty spider with pretty web so we had to get a new one. both have definitely not been pet holes! plus as soon as a cricket gets dropped in the tank they come running like a bat out of hell

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My male matured in a KK half that size.

No hide, small waterdish (that went unused). He burrowed and I rarely saw him.

loyaluntodeath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
obt's are great T's ! :) my sacks another couple weeks from popping and i cannot wait! i have about 8 OBT's at the moment all adults\sub adults and a sack that is enormous...i absolutely adore them! they are the most active and visible T's i have, out of 33 differnt species i'd say thats an acomplishment! i've been disapointed by Avics, always in their tube webs...atleast the OBT is out and about and excessively fast so the moment a cricket appears...well its dead almost before it hits the ground =) lovely T's realy!

2.5G isn't too big, but if you decide to upgrade...well wait a molt or 2 it'll be fine in a 10 at adult size, personaly i stick to 5G tanks due to space *can actualy close door on dresser with them in a 5g 10g's stick out way to far*

*headbangs* OBT's 4 Life!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why don't you guys use kritter keepers? I think they're great. Cheaper than glass tanks, more secure, deeper relative to width and they have those little doors at the top which helps with feeding spp prone to dashing for freedom (like an OBT). Plus they're lighter, less likely to break. You don't have the issue of toesies getting stuck in the screen lid... shall i keep going?

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice spider its great so many people really like these little devils

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why don't you guys use kritter keepers? I think they're great. Cheaper than glass tanks, more secure, deeper relative to width and they have those little doors at the top which helps with feeding spp prone to dashing for freedom (like an OBT). Plus they're lighter, less likely to break. You don't have the issue of toesies getting stuck in the screen lid... shall i keep going?
well personally, we like the way the glass tanks look better then kks... plus they're a little heavier if the cat decides to be curious when we're not home. not to mention (and i guess this doesn't matter with just glass) but worm has sausage fingers and cant get his hands into the tops of kks and still see what hes doing so its just easier for us to take the top off, mist and clean out poo and crix parts, and we dont have to worry about tearing web attached to the top. but thats just us...we might be wierd :8o

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
we love kritter keepers we love kritter keepers :8o :8o well i do to they are very good i.m.o. :clap: :clap: ~~~~~ PHIL

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see this a lot when people see newbie set ups.

but in my opinion the size of the tank doesnt really matter because out in the wild they have the biggest tank any tarantula will ever have. as long as it has a hide or the proper level of substrate if its a burrower it will be fine.

my sub-adult Brazilian Giant Blonde (Nhandu vulpinus) is in a 20 gallon tank with a water bowl and a hide....she/he is growing VERY fast and is healthy.

So the size of the tank doesn't really matter at all.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I'm stoked now ! Just added a 3 inch female to my order from southern spider works. This will be my first aggresive T.!

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah had i known about this species earlier in the trade i would of got this one along time ago. Ive always had the g-rosa's and when i went looking for a cobalt i found this obt (my first obt) i did no research on it and had no idea what i was in for. So i called a buddy of mine who was still in on the trade and he about fell out of his chair laughing at me cuz i just bought one of the most aggressive sp. out there...but in the end its a Tarantula none the less and in my case i didnt have too much of a problem with it.
THis one is kinda small so its kinda cool to see him grow, and now that i have 2 little ones waiting for both of them to grow is realy cool. And its great to have a t that wants to eat agin...my others seem to be on the same scedule and want to molt at the same time.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got my 3inch female OBT today from Southern Spider Works !My was she pissed !LOL Threw up a big threat pose with fangs barred as soon as I took her out of her shipping container.Pretty spider,looking forward to the webbing, this will be my first species I have kept that can potentially do alot of that.