Got 3 O. walberghi ! (some questions)

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello! I got 3 Ophistothalmus walberghi yesterday, I have a few questions.. (1 of the 3 is for a friend, I'm keeping 2)..

There's not much caresheets online, I only found petbugs.com's caresheet..

-Is the name walberghi or walbergi? I've seen written of many different ways.. which is the right one?
-Are they communal? I've seen that nowhere, but the one who sold me them told me that they were..
-What about the pectines.. what's the number of teeth (I don't know the english term for that - sorry) for males/females?
-How long may it take for them to reach their maturity? I've read that they are growing slowly.. is 1 or 2 years for maturity right?
-They're currently 2 months old.. How many molts might they have done yet?

That's it for now :) Thanks, Frank

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never kept this sp. before, so most of this information is hearsay. If I'm wrong please kindly correct me :)

1) Don't know.

2) You'd probably be fine with 2 in a ten gallon, but you're risking it. As far as I know, they're not technically communal, but they're not highly cannibalistic either. I don't actually have experience with these, however, so I'm sure others will be much more knowledgable.

3) Don't know

4) In the wild I think sexual maturity is around 3 years. In captivity it's probably decreased to about 1.5-2.

5) They're probably 3rd instars. How big are they?

Chris

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for answering as much as you could :)

They're mesuring about 1.5cm-2cm, not big uh? And they're supposed to be 2 months old :)

They ate tonight, pinhead crickets, they did good, I've never kept scorps that small before, how often should I feed them pinheads? I was thinking of 1 every 2 days, is it too often?

Thanks, Frank

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Frank,

- Opistophthalmus wahlbergii would be the correct spelling, I believe.

- I would not keep them communaly.

- I don't know about pectine counts.

- One to two years for maturity does sound about right.

- At that age and size, I'd guess that they are still second instar.

Cheers,
Dave

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I changed my mind, I agree with Dave. If they're that small they're probably still 2nd instars--though that seems like a long time for them not to have molted again. Then again, it might just seem strange to me because of my limited experience!

Chris

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Dave, how often do you think I should feed them?

Thanks, Frank

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It does seem a LITTLE long, but not excessively so. Remember that you are looking at about six instars over maybe two years. While they do become longer and longer the heigher up you go, your first stages are still going to be slow. Also, temperature plays a role and most dealers keep their scorps in the same area as their Ts ... which generaly means a bit on the cold side.

Sorry, forgot about the feeding. A pinhead every other day sounds good for now. What I generaly do is rip crickets in half, put one half in with each scorp and then remove any uneaten bits and replace with a fresh half-cricket every two days.

Cheers,
Dave

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks again Dave :)

So you recomment me to put them in colder temperatures? I'm currently keeping them in about 80F, is it okay, should I put them in 70ish temps?

For humidity, it is 70%, do small o. wahlbergii need more or less?

Are there still chances of loosing some, even if they passed the second instar?

Thanks a lot, Frank

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dave can respond to this, but I'll jump in and say no, do not lower the temps. There is a reason scorps tend to give birth in the spring--it ensures that their young will have warm, moist weather. You could probably stand to raise the temp to between 85 and 90, though 90 may be on the high side. Humidity could also probably be raised to the same amount--85-90%

Does that sound right to you, Dave?

Chris

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
In terms of temperatures just go with what Chris said -- couldn't have said it better myself.

Humidity-wise, I wouldn't necessarily raise it that high. 70 is good. 80 is probably better for the young. 90 is probably too much for this species. That being said, I have no personal experience with the young of this genus, so who knows?

Cheers,
Dave

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh thank you, both of you :)

What about the chances of loosing some scorps? Since they're after their 2instar, they should be ok, but are there any chances?

Thanks, Frank

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WELL I LOST ONE OF MY THIRD INSTAR c. GRACILIS TODAY AND THE REST ARE FINE...SO YOU NEVER KNOW!

Mat

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that, Mat

What was the temp/humidity? Any idea what killed it (so I don't end up losing some of mine)?

Chris

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well they`ve been getting high humidity(90%) four days a week and the rest i would let it drop abit.So there exo would harden properly. But the one that died had reached too little humidity and high heat at the same time. I was out fishing all weekend and when i came back only the deli cup on top of the stack was too dry.

Live and learn.

I have five left and all have moulted except one.

Mat

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, so only non proper conditions may get me to loose some, when they're after second instar?

Thanks, Frank

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The countries this species is native to are as follows: Angola, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe. The countries listed are all components of Sub-Saharan Africa, which has a descently low humidity level. A search through Weatherbug can assist you to find the exact temp and humidity level which can be found above the surface, which will give a better estimate of keeping for them. Temps, if listed as higher (approx 75 Fahrenheit being the average medium), will be lower on the surface (5-10 degrees average) and will be higher if temp ratings are cooler than the medium (5 degrees average). Dave is correct on the species name spelling, according to toxin laboratories throughout Africa.

adios,
edw.